1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dangerous Driving Technique: Have you tried a rolling restart?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Pluggo, Dec 1, 2016.

1. Pluggo

Pluggo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Everyone knows if you breathe too hard the ICE kicks in and won't shut off until the engine reaches normal operating temperature- that is, unless you shut the car off and restart. That's fine when you reach a stop or can safely pull over, but what would happen if a person tried to shut down and restart while rolling? I like to think there is something that prevents the car from slamming into Park and causing a wreck while moving more than 1 or 2 mph. Would shifting to neutral allow a safe shutdown and restart? I am not about to risk this on my own car, and I hope you don't try it either, but does anyone already have actual knowledge or experience about rolling restarts in a PiP?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no experience, but i think if you hold down the power button for 3 seconds, it will shut down.

otoh, shutting down during the early part of the warm up cycles may cause detonation when restarting.

uber2016 likes this.
  3. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Some people say that shutting down puts the car in Park. Not too good an idea while rolling down the road :eek:

uber2016 and Pluggo like this.
  4. Pluggo

Pluggo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Now that you mention it, that sounds like the recommend procedure for an emergency shutdown during a runaway cruise control situation. Of course they don't say much about what happens next, but it shouldn't destroy the car. Also, and I can't find it in the Bible right now, but I read about a 2nd emergency shutdown procedure that involves pumping the start button several times within a couple of seconds.

5. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Page 647 http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/om-s/OM47A29U/pdf/OM47A29U.pdf

6. Neohippy

Neohippy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    So you are driving a car that get the best mpg out there and you want to shut it off to save gas? Lol

repnatl and CaliforniaBear like this.
  7. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    It is worse than that, he it trying to see if he can save more in gas money than it will cost him for a new car.

repnatl and Prodigyplace like this.
  8. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    +1
    Since it is bad for the engine to shut it off prematurely after it has already started, even if I could pull over and shut it off, I wouldn't. If anyone is heroic :whistle: (dumb) enough to try a rolling start. Good luck with the locked steering wheel. :eek:

Prodigyplace likes this.
  9. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That is a new feature added about 2012. It doesn't work in older models.

10. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    With the ignition still turned on, and at highway speed, I have commanded both my Prii to shift to Reverse and Park. No big deal, the car simply overrides by going Neutral with a double-beep audio warning.

While an approved method of regaining control of a runaway engine / Sudden Unintended Acceleration is to shift to Neutral, I have found that attempted shifts to R or P are quicker. Those choices don't have the delay imposed to an intentional N shift. When practicing, I greatly prefer R because can be done blindly, not taking eyes off the road. The P button is too small to find by eyes-free reflex.

I haven't tried shutting down the ignition at speed, but doing so is also an approved method of regaining control during engine runaway / SUA event. I've read from others (sorry, link not handy) that the parking pawl won't engage if the car to moving fast enough to damage itself. But at lower speeds where the car can handle it, there is still a substantial jolt to the human inside.

BTW, I am still unaware of any true confirmed runaway engine or SUA in a Prius outside of floormat-pedal jams.

bisco and Pluggo like this.
  11. Pluggo

Pluggo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i am not aware of any confirmed u/a either.

13. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  14. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How did you do that? Just copy/paste?

15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If you're on windows 7 and onwards, there's a program called Snipping Tool. Go into start menu and start typing "snip" should find it. I would suggest to right-click the link, choose properties, and give it a hot key (say <crtl> <alt> S), so that you can invoke it with a few key strokes.

With Snipping Tool you can take a snapshot of any portion of what's on your screen. And if you like there's rudimentary annotate and highlight tools, with erase function too.

And whatever you have in snipping tool is automatically in Windows Clipboard. If you're in the Priuschat advanced editor (by default in your initial post, or available if you're editing it), once you've got something in Snipping Tool, just position cursor in Priuschat edit window where you want the image, then <ctrl> V will paste it. Or you can save the image, give it a name. Better if you want to subsequently repost or whatever.

If you have Adobe Acrobat, you can also "print" pages to pdf, then post a single pdf page. Another approach.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  16. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just Drive It.

And be familiar with EMERGENCY stopping procedures...but hope you never have to use them.

And worry a WHOLE LOT LESS about your ICE starting and stopping based on HSD parameters.

Just Drive It.

Prodigyplace and Mendel Leisk like this.
  17. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    BTDT numerous times in my Energi. How so?

If my battery is full, there's no room for regen. I love driving in L gear (this is not like Prius B gear) which gives me a one pedal driving experience; however, it does this partially through aggressive regen. Leaving the house and coming to a complete stop at the end of the block with a full battery sometimes activates the ICE to burn off the excess electricity that the battery can't store. To cancel the otherwise totally unnecessary ICE warmup, I need to power off the car but it has to be in Park. In D or N, I just get an error message telling me to place it in P.

FWIW

18. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't see a model year attached to that PDF.

I also don't recall seeing the 'stab 3 times' method in my 2010 manual. I first saw it in my 2012 manual, after the San Diego CHP-Lexus tragedy and others where many panicked (but too short) presses of the Power button did not shut off runaway cars.

Thus, we must make clear what model years this method works, so drivers of older models don't end up confused or mislead.

19. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That loops like a screenshot from the 2016 manual I posted earlier.
    Good point, though. I forgot this is a Gen 1 Plug-in thread.

20. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring