1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DANGEROUS issue for Gen2 prius re steering!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by priusrust, May 15, 2020.

1. priusrust

priusrust Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi. Just thought I'd give a warning. I have a 2004 prius I got from my dad with fairly minimal miles for age (135K)
    Yesterday, I was driving about 15 miles an hour beginning a turn and I heard a 'click' and steering wheel began to spin like a roulette wheel totally disengaged from wheels. I hit some rocks on side of road with minimal bumper damage. First thought: I was very lucky. If this occurred on highway likely would have rolled over....or could have hit a baby carriage of something. Went to local dealer and they started with 'normal wear and tear' [ya, at 135K steering disengages from wheels while driving- no biggy] so I'm going direct to toyota...they are looking into it now. Just a heads up. BTW.....my dad did have both steering related recalls addressed: steering shaft and steering extension.

R-P, SFO and ydpplqbd like this.
  2. ydpplqbd

ydpplqbd Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Wow!!!! Very scary!!!

Please update the board on the failure item and the history of such failures if you can.

priusrust and SFO like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe someone bungled the recall

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Seems more likely than anything else I can think of ... while at the same time ... embarrassing ....

priusrust likes this.
  5. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm relieved to hear it wasn't worse and no one was seriously hurt.

It would be good to hear the conclusion and what Toyota say and do about it.

Thanks for posting.

priusrust and ydpplqbd like this.
  6. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah, they must have botched the recall repair. If that's the dealer who did the recall, he should have been aghast and completely at your service hoping you wouldn't call a lawyer. Scary stuff. Almost as bad as Ford pickups. Glad you're OK.

priusrust and ydpplqbd like this.
  7. R-P

R-P Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I clicked the "Like" button, but I don't like this one bit...

I am afraid that if it WAS a recall-botch-up, we'll never hear this confirmed, but keep us posted!

jerrymildred likes this.
  8. priusrust

priusrust Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    appreciate all the feedback. So Toyota states they will call back today with their decision. I did notice prior to steering failure, the car slightly swayed a bit on the highway. I distinctly recall the day prior checking the trees to see if strong wind might be the cause. ............I also checked into NHTSA.gov records. Surprise, surprise a very recent investigation into "intermediate steering shaft separation". The conclusion was that when recall remedy installed, botched repair job (just as many noted above-thanks!). When my incident happened, I had it towed to the nearest repair place which happened to be VERY good. (communication, price, competence) The mechanic stated: "found bolt at intermediate steering shaft & steering rack disconnected" ...." "check shaft and splines for damage -found none" ....."re-attach resecure main bolt- car test driven". The same 'intermediate shaft' that was the issue for the NHTSA investigation. .....................So.......pondering hiring counsel, but only damage was to the bumper and my wits. (can I sue for wit damage?) I'm not litigation-happy, but am annoyed by the initial "normal wear & tear" response from dealer (like it was a worn %$#@&!! wiper blade issue!)- granted it was a low level employee. I think my request is super reasonable: repair/replace bumper, reimburse me what I paid mechanic to fix it -$175, and check the whole assembly . if anyone here has any legal knowledge/ advice...I'm open to it and appreciative. As mentioned, my first thought when this happened is that if it happened 10 minutes later ,I would have been going 70 on the hwy and cannot quite envision how it would be possible NOT to rollover. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ From NHTSA:
    February 21, 2013 NHTSA ACTION NUMBER: DP13001
    Intermediate Steering Shaft Separation

NHTSA Action Number: DP13001

Components STEERING

Opened From: February 21, 2013–April 8, 2020

Summary

The Office of Defects Investigation (ODI) received a January 2013 defect petition requesting that it open an investigation on Model Year (MY) 2004-2009 Toyota Prius vehicles to address a possible manufacturing safety defect related to the steering column intermediate shaft.

During the defect petition evaluation, ODI:1. Reviewed the petition and its enclosures;2. Reviewed the subject steering system layout;3. Examined the Petition Vehicle’s history, including its repair history;4. Reviewed and followed-up potentially related consumer complaints;5. Assessed Safety Recalls 06V-188 and 12V-537; and,6. Requested and examined complaint, claim, field report, service history, and warranty information from Toyota.

ODI's review revealed that the petition vehicle had been recalled (Recall 06V188) to remedy a defect in the system identified in the petition with the remedy taking place prior to the failure that prompted the petition. Circumstances point to incorrect reassembly of the petitioner's vehicle by those who performed the recall remedy.....................

#8 priusrust, May 18, 2020
    Last edited: May 18, 2020
    bisco likes this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    wow, that is quite a story. anyway, glad you weren't injured personally!

doesn't say much for dealers service rates in relationship to quality

Montgomery and priusrust like this.
  10. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You can sue for ANYTHING, but remember that dealerships have lawyers on retainer, and any ham and egger that you can afford won't have the chops to scare them enough to do much more than waste paper.

I can't see a firm taking this on for 40% of what you would recover, because 'pain and suffering' usually requires something more substantial than a 16-year-old car having a scary mechanical failure and a little bumper rash.
    You would probably be able to go after them for the bumper damage in small claims, but I'm guessing that even this damage might be less than the filing fee.

Negotiate...THEN litigate.

Good Luck!

Oh....and you may want to change your PC handle first.

You can forget your past....but your past doesn't forget YOU.....;)

jerrymildred and priusrust like this.
  11. priusrust

priusrust Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Small claims looks like good path -if it gets to that. I see replacing a bumper from dealer is $400- $1000 + my cost of repair $175..... the small claims filing fee for that amount in MA is $50. Well worth it. Thanks for the advice!

12. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Glad to help. ;)

Thank us by letting us know how it turns out....

Best of luck!

priusrust likes this.
  13. R-P

R-P Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So how do I check if (1) the recall was done/needed for my car? (2) it was done properly and not botched up?

14. priusrust

priusrust Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    you mean my handle 'priusrust'? happy to do that (now that my rusted battery well issue is solved)...how?

15. priusrust

priusrust Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  16. priusrust

priusrust Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So I heard back from Toyota. Since I was involved in a minor car accident in 2013 they are washing their hands of the issue. I rear ended someone, needed a new front bumper, and radiator.
    I am no mechanic, but in this accident the steering was not altered / damaged - the allegedly damaged steering took 7 years to show up?
    Anyway, I had forgotten about this incident.....wonder if it is worth proceeding now....(?) I have yet to talk directly to the manager at the dealership and plan to soon. Wonder if I should consult a mechanic and simply question whether a hit in the front bumper that nicked the radiator could cause the steering shaft bolt to come undone.

17. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Don't waste your time. You will not get a dealer to give you anything. They will spend thousands not to give you a penny.

Now if you did hit that baby carriage.

priusrust likes this.
  18. priusrust

priusrust Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You may be right, I think the only possible leverage I have is the fact many of my family have bought from this dealership- my dad just got a prius in 2016. They may determine it cost effective to keep the buyers in pleasant frame of mind. Not sure though.

19. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Cost you $50 plus a process server to find out....

If I'm a small claims judge it would be a wobbler.
    My Spidey senses tell me that they made a mistake years ago and this mistake may have manifested itself in your having a minor accident with some bumper damage on a 16-year-old car....years later.
    Giving you every benefit of the doubt.....as a judge I'd probably assign some liability to the company for this....but in real-world dollars you would not win much.

Small Claims can be the great equalizer.....and you're playing on a very friendly field.
    If I was the dealer, I'd throw a bumper repair at you just to promote good will and keep you out of my hair, but that's easy for ME to say because I do not have dozens of similar incidents every year with more or less dubious underpinnings.

Forget about the brand loyalty angle.
    Only people like me swear off an OEM for >20 years because they got shanked by a dealer long ago, and besides....if you are rolling a G2 you're not a regular enough car buyer to use this tactic effectively.

If you have the time and the $50 it might be worth going after them because a non-functional steering wheel is a fairly eye-catching claim....but don't risk anything in terms of time or money that you're not prepared to walk away from.

priusrust likes this.
  20. priusrust

priusrust Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Great advice, thanks.
    As far as brand loyalty angle, good point about a weak hand from a G2 driving angle....my emphasis would be on extended family who have purchased Prii (plural) and Rav4 's in the past inc recent past.

Besides all this....as the events have settled in..... two things stand out: 1) being told this type of thing was normal wear & tear as if I had suffered a traumatic brain injury moments before walking into the dealership...& 2) going thru records of past repairs and finding not one , but two $275 bills for electronic keys (not smart version) due to plastic shell being worn.

To summarize: It is personal Sonny, it's not business. (Think those Wild Kingdom videos of lions vs. hyenas )

I've learned from Judge Judy : "yes, your honor" & "no, your honor" is half the battle.

p.s. saved by previous owner (attached) Almost a historical artifact.

Attached Files: