1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Daox's MPG Modified 2004 Prius Build Thread

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Daox, Jul 6, 2009.

1. Daox

Daox Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Today was the first time I got to drive the car since installing the block heater and wooooooow does it work great. The coolant from the thermos still dumped into the engine and by the time I had pulled out of my garage and turned around in the driveway to drive off, the coolant temp was already at 104F. The engine had only been running a few seconds at that point. I'd say I could enter stealth mode almost a mile before normal, not to mention getting heat.

Combining the block heater with the PHEV for today's commute gave me 59.9 mpg according to the SG. On the MFD the first 5 minute bar was still just above 25 mpg, but it was a pretty solid 50 mpg on the highway and as soon as I got off the mileage shot up to 100+ mpg.

2. Daox

Daox Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, summer is on its way and its getting closer to the point where the summer wheel/tires can be put on. I noted when I first got the Prius that it had practically brand new tires on it, some uniroyal tigerpaw something or anothers. Well, today I'm placing my order for some Bridgestone Ecopia EP100 tires through a local vendor. These tires are ranked 2nd in TireRack's: When Round and Black Becomes Lean and Green testing (video here). The best tires being the Michelin Energy Saver A/S tires which cost $119 each. The Ecopia's weren't too far behind the Energy Savers mileage wise and were slightly better handling wise. They also cost $80, thus I go with them. :) I'm very much looking forward to getting them on the car.

I'm also anxious just to get the 205 wide Matrix (vs Prius 185s) winter tires off it. I did manage to pickup a new set of steelies for the Prius this past weekend, so I'll be picking up new winter tires sometime in the future too. I'll be looking at the Nokian tires that are noted for their low rolling resistance despite being a snow tire!

3. Daox

Daox Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I got the Ecopia's on the Prius last night for the most part. I got 3/4 of them on at least. The last steel wheel I couldn't get off of the car. The rust has fused the wheel to the hub. From my experience this is a common thing with rear drum brakes. I usually just loosen the lugs a little bit and go for a quick spin in the driveway and that breaks them loose. Well, that broke one loose but not the other. Anyone have any suggestions? If not, I guess I'll just go for a longer ride tonight.

4. Daox

Daox Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I ended putting a 2x4 up against the rim and wacked it with a small sledge. A couple of swings and it broke loose. Now I have all 4 Ecopias on, yay!

5. snookums

snookums Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I will politely ask: [​IMG]

:D

6. Daox

Daox Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Haha, nothing all that special. Still rolling on the stock wheels. But, here ya go.

All mounted up. I started to put them on the car one night and one of the wheel weights fell right off! Took it back the next day and installed them that night.
    [​IMG]

And the the wonderful tread that should hopefully free up a few mpg.
    [​IMG]

Installed and almost ready to go.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.