1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Darell's first Prius journey and...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by darelldd, Feb 21, 2006.

1. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks for the generous offer. I could also just solder directly to the switch pins without much problem. I'd like to find this connector just so we have a turn-key solution for others...

2. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'd love to see what this thing is! LED? If so, then $21 is likely a bargain. I'll go send 'em a message.

3. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    While you guys are being so helpful, I have another Q that I can't find an A for.

I just started my Greenhybrid.com membership, and want to start tracking my mileage. What are you guys using for this? REAL mileage or what the car tells you?

4. benighted

benighted New Member

What the car tells you is probably closer to the actual number than you would get by doing the calculations yourself due to bladder fluctuations. I don't track my lifetime mileage but if I was going to I would use what the MFD says.

5. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Fillup to fillup, I agree. But if you account for every gallon in, and every mile driven, after a while, this is definitely the most accurate way to account for mileage.

Anyway. It'll be a while before I have to fill up, so I just made the number work out to what the MFD says for now. :)

6. priusblue

priusblue New Member

I use my actual gas in miles out calculation. While it might cause some off tanks due to underfill/overfill and bladder problems, in the end it averages out. I also note the MFD number in my spreadsheet, just for comparison. The MFD averages do come close to the real mileage, though.

7. EricGo

EricGo New Member

The database is a mixture of both.

As you surmise, the REAL way is best for llifetime FE.

8. benighted

benighted New Member

I guess I was wrong. Now that I think about it if you track EVERY gallon of fuel you put in along with EVRY mile driven bladder fluctuations shouldn't matter.
    Though I don't know how much I trust my odometer anymore, my Garmin GPS tells me I am going 56 when my car tells me I'm going 58. If the GPS is more accurate (I think it is) then the MPG is going to be off too.

9. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    okay, after a little more research and your most excellent rundown
    on the subject, it sounds like I'm better off staying away from
    LEDs and finding brighter aftermarket 7440 type amber lamps for
    the turn signals. Why? Because as carefully as I signal and make
    motions like yes, I'm really going to change lanes, there seem to
    be a large contingent of buttheads who either don't see it or
    selectively ignore it. I want something with a little more punch.
    Yes, this is a cockamamie theory, but frankly when I see another
    prius making a turn, its signals just don't look all that bright
    anyways.
    _H*

10. jeneric

jeneric New Member

Greenhybrid.com is asking for a bunch of "per tank" info. With the bladder, I can't justify the REAL mpg being accurate "per tank" info. My spreadsheet is in my sig in excel. It'd be interesting to know if anyone's lifetime FE got noticably off going by the MFD.

11. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I hear you! Brighter is good (up to a point!) but what I REALLY like about LEDs is the super-fast response time. They're on or off. Incadescents spend most of their time getting up to temp, and then cooling off. More of a wave than a blink, ya know? For the signals this isn't such a big deal. For the brakes, LEDs are a MUST!

12. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Leaving it in A/C AUTO with A/C engaged doesn't mean it's running all the time. In AUTO mode, it'll determine when the compressor needs to come on or off. If you're in A/C AUTO with A/C off, then A/C will always be off.

If you're heating manually and the outside air is dry, no. You might as well keep it off since you'll get heat and it won't be saturated air. If you're where I am on the west coast, we need the A/C on to dehumidify.

13. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    OK, I believe it. I think I'd like to be in control of this one though, so I'll just stick with manual. I tried fooling with it today, and just don't like how it "thinks" for me. Usually the fan is on WAY too high for my liking. There are VERY few times that I'm willing to put up with the full-blast fans going.

14. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ah. This is something I meant to mention in the opening post. My car indicates about 1.5mph fast - checked with two GPS units. And your post here seems to confirm that as well.

I have found in other cars that the speedo and odometer don't always come off the same feed though. In my Rav, for example, there is about a 4mph difference between indicated and reality, yet the odometer is within 0.5%!

15. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Ok.. you've sold me.... hand them over!

did you make them?

I assume the fit right in place of the existing?

and will they fit anywhere else?

what about the dome lights etc?

16. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yes, an EE friend of mine and I are making them. Here's what I did for the Rav4EV folks:

[Broken External Image]:http://www.darelldd.com/ev/images/rav4/rav_lighting/dome1_production.jpg

I used that same circuit for my cargo light. Now that I know it never auto-sleeps, I'm designing a new circuit that'll be smarter than the car... and the owner too! :) My goal (proving to be pretty difficult!) is to come up with one circuit that will fit in all the places the Prius has interior lights - and be drop-in. Of course different bulbs are used in every dang place! But I am making some headway. Each will have to be cutomized for the application. But getting the circuit the right size and configuration is the first priority. Start saving your pennies. These will be about $40/pop.

Those dang lights on the lower edge of the front doors is a booger! I swear they designed it to be impossible to replace the existing lamp... much less making it available for an easy LED retrofit!

17. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    yep.. that could get flat spendy!... esp to replace them all!... but it should be a one time price.. .they should never go out again!....
    thats the price of cutting edge when you have to make it yourself.... I wouldn't make them for any less either......

Let us know the scoop once you get all your ducks in a row...... your picture inspired that statement! :D

18. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yup! But then there's quite a bit more involved here than, say, machining a stiffening plate with four holes in it! :unsure: These are designed and built right here in the USA... by two USA-ians. Believe me when I say I won't be getting rich off of these at $40. I'll make about $5 on each one... and that's after an initial investment of at least $7k for protos and a minimum-quantity run. Ug.

You are correct that these should outlast the vehicle.... and if they save you from needing a jump-start just once, they will have paid for themselves in hassle - that's for certain! That's the main reason I use them, for battery rundown protection. That they're brighter, whiter and cooler-running is just icing on the cake. You will NOT find anything else like this anywhere. We've been doing these for almost four years now, and nobody else has even attempted it as far as I know.

:lol:

19. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    for current speed, GPS is not more accurate than the speedo.

on the auto air thing. if you make sure that you have airflow going to windshield then to feet, the compressor will stay off. if set to face setting, then compressor will come on, but only run if need be.

when hit air, you adjust vent settings, and the system will remember them until you change them. usually allows you to change them only when the seasons change unless you like hot air blowing in your face... some people do...

20. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I beg to differ! I have calibrated several of the better automotive GPS units and have found them to be accurate to well under 0.5mph at all reasonable speeds. The speedos, on the other hand can be WAY the heck off, and still be within the auto-maker's specs. I'm wondering why you think GPS readings are "not more accurate than the speedo"??? I've simply never seen that be the case!

There is no reason why GPS speed can't be VERY accurate... and in my experience, it is!