1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Darell's first Prius journey and...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by darelldd, Feb 21, 2006.

1. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    GPS units are not designed to give instaneous speeds. the only way they can determine speed is to compare two different static readings and determine the distance traveled in that time and then calculate speed based on those readings. the calculation will only be an average speed so GPS will never have true speed readings. now if you were to maintain a constant speed, a GPS can do a fair job.

also, by all accounts, my GPS and my Prius speedometer match all the time. i dont think i have ever seen the two vary by even 1 mph.

2. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Well, you'll have to put together a list of what module goes where.... I hope they will all be snapin..... maybe we can help you market them......
    I have two prius's I will be stocking so well see what all that adds up to.
    I love LED's.... what type are you using?... I have a 4 watt inova light that has the luxeon Star LED with lithium rechargable... really nice!... I don't suppose yours will have those... they are a bit spendy....

Anyway... maybe you could market them to Toyota... that would keep you busy!.... otherwise... just PC could keep you hopping... esp with 11K members strong.

3. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Our observation is same as yours.
    The speedometer and odometer are calibrated differently.
    Our Japanese Prius speedometer is adjusted to meet the ECE Regulation No.39 and displays +3 km/h from actual speed.
    http://www.unece.org/trans/main/wp29/wp29regs/39rv1e.pdf

The odometer error was within 0.3% by our tests.

Ken@Japan

4. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    And yet they do astonishingly well, don't they? As you've shown yourself, your GPS stays right up with your speedo, and while my speedo is off, the percent difference in my GPS vs speedo reading remains constant at all speeds. There is no question that my GPS reading is more accurate than my speedo reading, though they track each other perfectly.

5. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

6. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Wow.. your right.. I forgot thats the way they look when they're out in the open.... are they one watters?

7. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yes, I'm only driving them at 350mA, so there's no reason to go for the Lux3 or higher. 350mA is as much light as a 8W interior light creates... and only comsumes just over 1W. Plus... over 350mA, and heat becomes an issue. My plan is to maybe burn them bright for the initial few minutes, then put them down to 300mA for the next 15 minutes, then shut them off. We can do just about anything we want with the uController. Yes... these will be the smartest dome lights ever. :)

8. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Perfect.. if they dim you may need a way to make them bright again.....

maybe when they dim we could hit the button to restore it to full brightness again if we are still using it!... the dimming would simply act as a warning that its getting ready to shut off.
    At only 1 watt.. might as well bump the time out to an hour or so.......

Your right.. they get very hot.... at least my 4 watter does...

and they give tons of light.....

I have already left mine on twice forgetting to turn it off after running out in the dark to do something.......

Maybe before you put them out you can make a poll... to see what folks really want.

Of course the more options the better, but that drives the price up.

Well, not everybody will want to give big bucks to replace a bulb that is still working, but I for one already gave alot to have high tech... I would buy the luxeon star leds.... I really like the frequency of white they give off.... "white bright"... those are pretty dim that presently come stock in the prius.
    It would be a once in a lifetime purchase.

We went to go get an opposum in the backyard the other day so I got my little inova 4 watt light to blind him... my son in law laughed when he saw my little 8 inch flashlight... I told him to close his eyes and I would shine it in his eyes, so he did... it still blinded him!

I am already reading how they really shaft you for a normal bulb replace... Of course that won't last... but the prius has been out awhile, you think it would be cheap by now to replace a bulb.

Anyway.. I'm in!... I"m going to beddy...

9. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    All that's needed is to reset - meaning power cycle the switch.

The idea is you get lots of light for those few minutes of use when the dome lights are mostly used, and then a more reasonable level (like about the leve of the factory bulbs) for the next 15 minutes. I would not call this too dim! Before they auto-sleep, they would dim to half brightness for one minute, giving you plenty of time to reset them if you want another 15 minutes. Maybe I'll make it 20. An hour is too long, and I just hate wasted energy - no matter how little it is - if I can avoid it. Who needs light for more than 20 minutes very often? Ok... maybe we'll do 30. :)

These can be programmed to perform however we want them. But I don't want to get into a custom program for everybody unless customers are willing to fork over way MORE money! The testing for new code takes many days to make sure it is 100% stable. That that testing can be mighty boring!

10. Sho-Bud

Sho-Bud Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Although I agree that most GPS devices only give an update once every second, and thus are a bit behind on showing the speed, it doesn't calculate the speed the way you thinnk it does. Actually, for speed calculation it uses the Doppler-effect: as you approach something that emits a frequency (audio, radio etc) as you move towards it, the frequency appears to be higher, depending on your speed. (Like a train blowing it's horn, when it comes in your direction, the tone is high, but when is passes you, the pitch will drop). On a constant speed, it's very accurate.

11. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I was under the impression they only updated once every 2 sec. but then again my GPS (Holux BT-230) is 1.5 years old. Therefore you are always aleast 2+ secs behind your actual speed. On the interstate my speedo reads 59 and the GPS reads 60. Wish I had tenths maybe I will set the Prius to KPH for a little more accuracy.

Wildkow

12. benighted

benighted New Member

Would it be more cost effective or easier to design if you run them direct drive, with a resistor?

13. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i have a holux BT 231 and it updates 5 times /sec. however, the information is interpted by my Mac which only updates the information once per second. (that is an improvement since the previous update rate of once per 15 seconds (or worse...forget now) made its use with Route 66 mapping software useless for turn by turn directions)

if im not mistaken, yours updates more than once per second also. when i was in the market to purchase mine, i referenced a couple of real good sites that had field comparison tests.

my only requirements was decent battery life (didnt matter since most come with car chargers) bluetooth interface (wanted the wireless) and ability to get good signal lock.

the holux BT 231 rated very high in multiple sat reception and accuracy. the elevation accuracy is not great (none of them were) mine is probably about +/- 100 feet

14. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My garmin quest updates position and all the other running figures
    once per second. Its calculated *speed* steady-state lags the
    Prius speedo by about half an MPH, and yet the GPS's calculated
    travel *distance* tends to run slightly higher than the Prius odo.
    Per what Ken said, this makes sense if the Pri is doing two different
    methods for speedo and odo; I would sort of assume that the GPS is
    basing all of its displays from a single source. I haven't tried
    to match any of this to highway mileposts yet...
    Side thought: hmm, this is spawning a lot of internal sub-threads.
    Maybe the LED discussion and the speed/dist/GPS discussions should
    be split out... darell, you could probably even work yourself into
    the "sponsored sales" section or whatever it is with some of these
    LED toys because it sounds like PC could be a market for you!
    _H*

15. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yup. Just like it would be easier and cheaper to just build an Echo instead of a Prius. :) LEDs are (or are designed to be!) current-driven devices. The circuits we make are constant-current, and are meant to protect the LED and provide a constant level of light. And our latest twist is adding the uC control for auto-sleep. You get none of that with resistors. Yes it is the easy hack, no it is not the right way to go about it.

16. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My Street Pilot updates faster than the digital speedo in the car. For all intents and purposes, they track each other consistently though. Or to put it another way, they update faster than my brain can process it, so that's plenty fast enough while we still have human pilots.

17. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yeah, I kinda figured this would happen, but I had SO many questions, I dreaded the thought of keeping track of so many threads.

When this interior LED project gets legs, I'll definitely figure out the right way to sell, and THEN I'll have some dedicated threads. Right now it is still at the dreaming stage as far as "production" product goes. The first course of action is to hack up MY car a bit more. :)

18. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I felt funny about taking it this direction too, but since its your thread!....
    If you branch off, I'll be glad to continue discussion somewhere else.

19. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Feeling funny is nothing new to me, so I didn't even notice. :)

Just for you, I snapped a couple of pictures of the cargo lamp module. I need to show the factory bult next to the circuit so it is more obvious what is happening here.

click

20. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Nice pics!...... Are you having any problems with heat when left on for a while?