1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dark Blue Paint Clear Coat Problem

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Priusordie, Aug 24, 2021.

1. Priusordie

Priusordie New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My 2nd Prius out of 3 is showing severe clear coat peeling on roof; my 2004 is still clean. From what I seen driving around and from searching the chat, this seems a common problem that is affecting specifically the dark blue Prius. Toyota has no extended service for this defect. I’m curious how many people out there have this issue, and should this be raised as a group to Toyota?

744CAE8C-57CD-4276-9421-E3E6DC953C0B.jpeg F04132D5-F115-4FC4-9EC3-4BE786EB5A37.jpeg 2F706380-3940-43A0-AA03-6D03B87AB715.jpeg

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just for data points:

1. Mostly parked outside, or garage?
    2. Waxed? How often?
    3. Wash yourself, or carwash? If the latter, what kind?

3. Priusordie

Priusordie New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Outside, no wax, wash myself sparingly. I know the sun can be tough on paint, but this is just like all my other cars that never showed this problem. Thanks,

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah regardless, that shouldn't be happening.

5. KevininFl

KevininFl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Find a cheap Painter in Craigslist Services Section,Or Facebook Marketplace. Should be fine.

6. Pulse07

Pulse07 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    Only fix is repaint. Try maaco paint, probably not the best shop to go to, but if you "just want it to look better" , it should be fine

7. saltdiscus

saltdiscus Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Why won't you put black vinyl on top ?

8. Priusordie

Priusordie New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the suggestions folks. Toyota has been less than helpful. National tells me to go see the dealer, Dealer tells me nothing they can do if National doesn't do anything, though they are the ones who sent me to the dealer. I understand I'm out of warranty, and I wouldn't be pushing them if the car was 15+ years old. I just expected more from Toyota when this is clearly abnormal. I play with my 3 choices: Live with it and give Toyota free advertising, fix my myself, or go to a cheaper place like Maaco. Appreciate the inputs

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. hemi71cuda

hemi71cuda Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    2010 with 156k and blue paint. No issues whatsoever with paint degradation. I’ve only owned it for a year and a half or so but I park it outside.

10. Sal43

Sal43 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My 2011 Blue Prius 4 had no such problems. I guess that's the advantage of living in Rainy, Cloudy, Snowy Pennsylvania instead of Beautiful Sunny California. I didn't take many photos when selling it, used old photos I had from 2017 instead.
    These are the only recent photos I have. Those aren't scratches BTW, just glue from the dent puller I was using.

Attached Files:

11. Pablo Coupon

Pablo Coupon New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2011 Blue Prius with 75K miles. I had the same exact problem and had my roof repainted for $400 two years ago (at around 50K).
    Now the paint is peeling in two other locations. UGH!!! I'm wondering how long before this spreads in other locations. I'm very disappointed in Toyota for not covering this issue.

12. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Same story here ...

13. 2010moneypit?

2010moneypit? Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Silver also is doing the same thing. I don’t know the history. I purchased the car a year ago.

14. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    If you think you might diy the roof, you still have a few options. Get a compressor a hose a spray gun and a place inside with little to no dust for spraying and practice. Don't forget to tape anywhere you don't want the clear to cover like windows and moldings.
    Or Start off small and get a rattle can of clear, sand a part of the roof with 600 grit, clean off sanding dust and tac with tac cloth, spray a small section of the roof.
    If it meets your satisfaction, let it cure for at least 24 to 48 hours, if not sand the section with 800 grit wet dry and try your luck again. If you still want it better and to shine like new, sand the section with 1000 grit, clean off dust, tac cloth it and spray again, this time with just a bit of a thicker coat of clear.

Spraying in direct sun or any breeze is not going to give good results unless really really lucky. The more light you can get on the area being sprayed the better.
    After happy with spray results, Inspect for impurities with a strong flashlight up close. If going to buff out? , wait at least 24 hours. Don't use enamel clear on the car. If that's all you can get (and this is good practice for whatever is being sprayed) test the paint on a non visible patch of paint to see if it lays flat and hardens clear on the cars OEM paint.

#14 vvillovv, Jan 12, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2023
  15. MaryMac

MaryMac New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    2010 dark blue Prius 3 now has blistered clear coat on roof after spending the SW Michigan winter outside and visiting a car wash in June. Toyota Dealer won’t deal with a blue Prius, just the white ones.

Attached Files:

16. M Gia

M Gia New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Untitled 2.jpg Untitled 1.jpg 2014 Prius C. I'm so disappointed in Toyota for not owning this paint chip issue.