1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Darn! I did not move fast enough

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Chuck., Nov 10, 2013.

1. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I was about the start an second threat on JFK with the intent it would be so political it would go into Fred's House of Politics - saving the 1st (non-political) thread...too late. :(

Is there any chance of splitting the 1st thread and leaving all but the last five or so posts here and the rest in Fred's House of Politics?

2. Trebuchet

Trebuchet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Use the report button. Mods moved my USMC thread very quickly!

3. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I made a request to the mods to split the original JFK thread and move the non-political part here.

Another request: The members that generally make a post that sends an entire thread to FHo Politics have access there, so in the future could a parallel thread be created there? For the ones that do it you know who you are and have the judgement to know when the posts go very political. Don't kill threads for the rest of us.

4. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Both Daniel and Treb could have exercised restraint. Daniel: I'm OK with you saying your feared WWIII - many did in 1962, and myself later on during the Cold War. It was going into JFK's motives that baited Treb.

Treb: remember when Daniel was chided for spelling out BS?...you just did that. :oops:

Wish both of you just started a FHo Politics thread when JFK's motives and replies were started. Otherwise, I'm going to wonder if a thread on the weather could go to FHo Politics - no I'm not being silly because someone could rant on Climate Change. :(

5. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Collectively, we've proven ourselves incapable of discussing anything remotely political without it getting nasty. The same goes for anything related to health care, religion, and yes, climate change.

You'd think otherwise rational and intelligent people could discuss almost anything civilly, but in my observations over the years, that doesn't seem to be the case.

6. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It's been my observation that any forum conversation can get out of hand. The internet tends to make folks more courageous and less polite because there are no repercussions. Many would likely not happen at all or get outright physical were they face to face in the real world. Regardless who is "winning", you can always just just click the red X in the upper left hand corner and conflict solved.

But then what do I know?

Chuck. likes this.
  7. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That doesn't really solve anything. It's more like giving up and walking away, which far too many formerly-active posters here have done. There are repercussions, both to a person's online reputation - which we all have, me included - and to the sites they frequent. A pseudonym is not the same as anonymity.

8. TwoUnderPar

TwoUnderPar Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Very sad. I came back here tonight to see what other people's recollections were from their childhood regarding the JFK assassination. It appears from the comments above that some babies must have logged on and ruined it for the rest of us! :(

9. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It seemed pretty simple: recollect what it was like the day JFK died without getting into his policies. And of the two that sent the thread to FHo Politics - one will say JFK was too liberal, while the other will say he was too conservative. :confused: Much of the partisan banter back in 1963 directed at JFK could be globally changed to 'Obama' and it would look EXACTLY like a lot of what I read. In other words, we have a number of polarized viewpoints that seem oblivious not a lot of people agree with them. While some don't care for my POV on a number of things, they have no idea how upset they would be if I showed no restraint.

This might be the most hated quote at PC
    So many face-to-face situations discretion is necessary. Plenty of stories that would be hires lost a job offer after what they said online was read....if I was hiring, I'd be checking on them too.