1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dash blank car wouldn't turn off

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by robl45, Oct 15, 2017.

1. robl45

robl45 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So today I'm driving around, and then all of a sudden, I start the car and there is no dash lights and the car won't turn off. I finished my errand and came home and from quick googling saw that its probably a combination meter problem and that holding the power button in should turn it off which it did.

The car then started up normally and the dash is working now.

Has anyone had this happen and not be a problem again? I saw on ebay I can exchange the meter for a reasonable price if I need to do that which brings to the next question. I watched a video on replacing the meter and I'm wondering if this is relatively safe to do? I'm concerned about the parts removing the airbag and connectors. Don't want to have an airbag go off.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This combination meter issue addressed by an extended warranty for 9 years. After 9 years, you would just buy another unit (refurbished) and install it.

If it's out of warranty, I would wait to see if this is going to be an ongoing issue first. I had this happen once on my 2005 and it never happened again

3. Jmack111

Jmack111 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hud has bad cap on the board 3 of them. See my post to fix it short term. Pulling 4 fuses with car on. Then turn off holding power button install fuse. Under hood all the way to right the 4 by them self. But the real fix is the cap on the HID Display

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

4. robl45

robl45 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Right now its worked again 3 times. I guess I'll see if it continues to be a problem.

5. Jmack111

Jmack111 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  6. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I would just buy a rebuilt w/ a Guarantee, by Matt at Texas Hybrid Batteries; $150 + refundable $75 CORE charge.
    Matt seems to be a respectable member and runs a sound business in the DFW area of TX.

Texas Prius Battery Replacement

Since you indicate being uncomfortable working on the car, you should probably hire this repair out.

7. Jmack111

Jmack111 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  8. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It is not just the price of the parts you pay for when you outsource the job, but the knowledge of what to do, how to do it and the time taken to do it. That is worth something.

exstudent likes this.
  9. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Reminds me of the old joke (yup, the oldies are the best!)
    "A Software Engineer, Hardware Engineer, and a Project Manager were having a driving holiday in the Alps and during a hairy descent of one of the many steep passes in the mountains, the brakes of their Volvo seemed to fail, but by skillful driving and use of the gears, they were able to bring the car to a halt, resting precariously against the guard-rail. :eek: They all staggered out, somewhat shaken, but thankful to be alive.
    The Project Manager suggested they have a meeting to decide what to do.
    The Hardware Engineer said "No problem, I'm familiar with the workings of Volvos and I'm sure I can find and fix the problem with the tools we have, and I can always use my trusted Swiss-Army Knife", which he then took from his pocket…
    The Software Engineer then piped up "Hang on chaps! Let's not be too hasty! I think we should drive back to the top of the pass, and try once more, and see if the same thing happens again!" ":rolleyes:

10. priusrecon

priusrecon Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just a quick suggestion.... Check your 12V battery before you dive into any major repairs for this. I had a similar problem: car acted flakey and wouldn't turn off. Turns out just the 12V was getting weak. Replaced it and problem went away. Nothing to lose, and possibly might avoid a long unesessary repair job.

WilDavis likes this.
  11. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    OP had the Comb Meter (speedometer/odometer/trip odometer/fuel gauge) failure. This is a known failure, that is intermittent. Colder climates seem to have more instances of combo meter failures, than warmer climates.
    Was your combo meter not ON too? As far as I know, that is the only thing the will prevent the car from turning off with a single quick depression of the POWER button. As you may know, if the combo meter is out, you have to keep the POWER button depressed for a few seconds for the car to turn off (~3-5 sec).

12. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    +1

Also, the fact that OP states the following, leads me to believe he does not do much DIY, let alone fine electrical work.