1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dash Cleaners

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Ravenlocks, Apr 21, 2006.

1. Ravenlocks

Ravenlocks New Member

Is it possbile to clean the dash too much? I keep a container of cleaning wipes and aoft cloth towels in my car just so I can wash the dust and keep the display clean periodically. Someone said to me to be careful that I could tarnish it by cleaning it too much, is this possible? The black shiny parts collects alot of dust and spots so I like to keep it clean. Anyone else do this ?

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ravenlocks @ Apr 21 2006, 12:59 PM) [snapback]243225[/snapback]</div>
    For that light dust keep one of the little hand-held Swifter Dusters in the glove box. Then, any time you notice the dust you run that sucker over the dash while waiting for a stop light to change and it's all set with no harsh cleaners or significant rubbing/friction to worry about.

3. heliotropehead

heliotropehead New Member

I swiffer often and so far nothing's been tarnished. Happy cleaning! :)

4. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If this were a poll I'd vote for the swiffer duster. Keep one in the under floor storage in the back and use it whenever it apepars dusty. No scratchs, not chemicals, no lint left behind by cloth wipes or paper towels.

5. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Apr 21 2006, 11:14 AM) [snapback]243236[/snapback]</div>
    As some may have noticed in yesterday's/today's news, a very scientific study (with cameras installed in participants' cars) was done in the D.C. metro area over a period of 3-1/2 years, observing the behavior of 200+ drivers.

Not so astonishingly, they found that 80% of collisions resulted from a simple lack of attention or distraction on the part of the driver. What distractions? All the usual suspects: in descending order, cell phones; fiddling with the stereo or another music-providing device; eating; reaching for an object moving inside the car; applying makeup; daydreaming or dozing off; and a few others classified as "passenger-related" or "internal distraction" (I assume turning your head to look at someone you're talking to, maybe especially kids, falls in there somewhere). Cell-phone users increase their chance of causing an accident 300%!

So it may be good advice to use a Swiffer to dust your dash---but DR. Fusco, who should know better, should sit in the corner for an hour for suggesting you do it while waiting for the light to change.

6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ghostofjk @ Apr 21 2006, 05:32 PM) [snapback]243385[/snapback]</div>

Let the record show I said 'while stopped at a light'...never have or will do that while driving. That said...I do spend a little more time fiddling with the CAN-View that I'd like to admit!

7. FJRCRAZED

FJRCRAZED New Member

Another thing you can do is order a dash cover. I've had one on my last 4 cars-trucks. They really help to cut down on the glare you get when the sun hits the dash just right. And the Prius has one LARGE dash.

8. Locke01

Locke01 New Member

Swiffer duster. Only when the car is parked and in the garage or on the driveway. I don't even keep the duster in my car. :) Other than that, a little armor all to keep the shine.

9. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'd like to recommend 303 protectant which cleans the dash and also makes it anti-static so it doesn't attract dust. It's great stuff, use it on the exterior rubber/plastic too!

Swiffers are handy, so is a microfiber cloth. Clean the MFD with a soft microfiber cloth.