1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

dash gauges

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by cpss, Jan 30, 2017.

1. cpss

cpss Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Well I have had my 2014 prius for a few months now. Really like it. Anyways, is there anyway to bring up normal engine monitoring gauges ? Such as engine water temp, oil pressure ,charging?
    Roy

2. Maarten28

Maarten28 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Only with an OBDII adapter and a phone/tablet showing the gauges. A scangauge is also possible but it only shows numbers.
    And there is no oil pressure indicator available.

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Maarten is correct. I use a ScangaugeII, it can show 4 of about a 100 different gauges. (I use RPM, coolant Temp in F, Intake temp in F, and instant MPG)
    ScanGauge II ODB Scan Tool + Digital Gauges + Trip Computers - PriusChat Shop

If you have a spare android device you can get a OBDII to bluetooth adapter and Torque pro software to make your own gauges.
    Torque — OBD2 Performance and Diagnostics for your Vehicle

Neither can display values not available via the OBDII bus. The Prius oil pressure gauge is just on/off, not real values.

4. bobzchemist

bobzchemist Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    #4 bobzchemist, Jan 31, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I recall driving my daughter-in-law's Sunfire over to Costco for a flat repair, muttering to myself: "even this POS has tach and coolant gauge...".

Yeah, I don't get it, especially coolant temp: would really like to see that on the dash. Sure there are aftermarket solutions you can cobble, but c'mon Toyota.

RMB and jerrymildred like this.
  6. bobzchemist

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Also, there's this:

[​IMG]

7. bobzchemist

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  8. bobzchemist

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    To continue the concept of completeness ( but significantly increased prices), it seems that the people who custom-build race/stock cars frequently have need of a comprehensive dash display. Some of these work off of an OBDII connection. This picture of the inside of a Prius that was modified to be a race car, for example (2016 Prius GT-300), looks like it's using a AIM MXL Dash Display. [​IMG]

New Toyota Prius becomes spaceship-like race car - Only Motors

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    isn't there some type of hidden menu, or 'easter egg' if you will, that shows some of this data?

10. bobzchemist

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If there was a way to get a video input into the head unit, you could use a Raspberry Pi and an OBD adapter to display information.
    [​IMG]

I am really surprised that this isn't an option Toyota thought of - it seems like a crazy work-around when Toyota could have just fed this info to the display directly.
    OBD-Pi

Actually, this is something I'd love to do - does anyone know if there's a way to tap into the video connection to the back-up camera and keep it on while driving in a 2010 Prius? I'd cheerfully use a separate Garmin GPS if I could get something like this.