1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dash lights on but no start

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Scott p, Jul 23, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Scott p

Scott p Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    I haven't had my 2013 prius C but about 6 months. In that time its had 3 times of being hard to start (taking multiple attempts) with today being the worst in that it wouldn't start and i had to get towed home. We tried to jump it but that didn't help. Other posts I've read seen to suggest the 12 V needs replacing... is that the regular one under the seat? If that's the case why wouldn't it jump? Why do all the dash lights work but not the radio? Thanks for helping a newbie out

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    yes, under the seat. sometimes a bad 12v can keep the jump from working. try disconnecting it, and pt the clamps straight to the wires. don't start the donor car, you don't want to overload the electronics.

RCO likes this.
  3. Scott p

Scott p Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Ok, so i got a multimeter (first time ever using one). I put the red probe on the battery terminal within the fuse box and the black one on various metal objects under the hood. Most of the readings i got (the multimeter was set to read 12V battery) was 0.00 but when i put it on the aluminum cover it went to 8.15. That's the only 2 readings i got. Is that right? I think i read i need a new battery at less than 12 so is a reading of 8 even possible? The car had been sitting for a week.
    Thanks

4. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Eight volts is clearly bad. (The once that had 0.0 volts were not metal; they were paint. ;)) To make a long story short, it should read around 12.6 volts at rest with nothing running, but even that is not necessarily good. The best way is with a load on it. I assume you mean you used the inverter cover for the black lead.

5. Scott p

Scott p Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Ok, I'm planning on getting the optima yellowtop battery from Amazon for $165 but i noticed there's many sizes, how do i know which one to get?
    I have 2013 priusC don't know what gen...

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there's only one gen. whatever website you're buying it on should allow you to put your info in, and direct you to the correct battery.
    you may want to pull yours first and take it to an autocrats store where they can charge and test it.

RCO, Scott p and jerrymildred like this.
  7. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Indeed! As we've said, don't go buy one based solely on a multimeter test. Take it out and get it load tested at a car parts store. It costs nothing but a little time.

RCO, Scott p and bisco like this.