1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dash Meter Issue

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by yankeeexpresstaxicab, Oct 22, 2014.

1. yankeeexpresstaxicab

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    SO, I run a taxi cab co in Berkeley, Ca, one of our prius 05 fleet is acting up as some times the car will start up and run perfectly but the dash meter will be totally dark, Since this is a taxi cab vehicle, the taxi meter is connected with the odometer(the taxi meter reads the odometer to calculate the taxi fare), if the odometer is not working the taxi meter(Taxi fare meter ) will not work as well, meaning the driver will not make any money, the meter will show only the base price $3.50 no matter how many miles he drives the passenger. most of the time in this situation, the car becomes stubborn to shut off and have to use the safety override (holding the power button for 3 seconds to shut it off). And then the problem will be fixed on its own after over night rest. I have also figured that problem can be fixed temporary by resetting the on board computer system, meaning disconnection the auxiliary battery. My question is, is this a good practice resetting the car so frequently, will it lead to bigger problem?

#1 yankeeexpresstaxicab, Oct 22, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  2. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I don’t think resetting will really do any harm. But ecu will learn characteristics of engine and forget them when resetting. So resetting will increase your fuel consumption.

But you could probably get that combination meter replaced for free. Combination Meter Warranty Enhancement | Page 8 | PriusChat

3. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    What's the condition of the 12v?

I trust you'll have checked the connections from the speed sensor to the meter to make sure it's getting the pulse? What's the history of the driver? Is he trusted or has he been tinkering with the meter and messed it up?

vvillovv likes this.
  4. walpoleauto

walpoleauto Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Sounds like Combination meter symptoms. Check the health of the 12V battery first and go from there.

5. 3prongpaul

3prongpaul Hybrid Shop Owner, worked on 100's of Prius's

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If car is less than 9 years old should qualify for free combination meter replacement, talk to the dealer.

If you have to pay out of pocket, the part can be purchased form RockAuto.com for about $200, they need VIN, odo reading + $300 core charge (you get back when you send them the old one). Arrives in a few days after ordering. Takes an experienced tech about 60-90 minutes to replace. Doing it the first time might take longer (entire dash top has to come out).

Kensington Garage in the Berkeley hills is a nice Prius friendly shop if you want a shop to do it.

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Part#?

7. 3prongpaul

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Dorman 599550 for 04 and 05 Prius

8. Nate Glenney

Nate Glenney New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How about for a 2008 Touring?

9. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    the 2008 would be under extended warranty

10. 3prongpaul

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Part number for 06-09 Prius is Dorman 599551 but they should still be covered by Toyota dealer for free. (9 years from when car entered service)

11. yellow taxi

yellow taxi New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I work on taxis, this is a common problem due to the fact that taxis run 24/7 most of the time, your instrument cluster is going bad and will either need to be replaced or rebuilt, due to the many hours the speedo/cluster is on it's showing wear, the current Prius I have has 150k miles on it due to an instrument cluster replacement last recorded mileage was 214k miles early this year. A "trick" just to get the cluster to work is to disconnect & reconnect the speedo plug (square white plug) which is located behind the round power on switch. If you decide to replace the cluster you will need either yrs 2004 or 2005.

12. cajunprius

cajunprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have found a way to get the cluster to come on. It may sound crazy but it works more often than not.
    When you get into the car leave the door open, put the key in, place foot on the brake, and then press the power button and turn the headlights on at the same time. Weird but it works most of the time.
    Any comments please post.

Thanks

13. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Paul,

Does the Dorman part fix the 300k miles limit in a 04 Priuis?

JeffD

14. Kmun

Kmun Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ALL Years of Gen 2 are interchangeable.
    I just replaced a 2004 with a 2009.

You must replace both of the matching combination meter and light cluster circuit boards most easily found as an assembly (20"+ long, of many plastic parts and the two matching circuit boards) from salvage. Not having tires with TPMS I now wish I would have removed the TPMS LED light from it's circuit board by simply breaking it off the circuit board.

The reboot & start failed as before UNTIL I SET the PARKING BRAKE. From then forward dash instruments worked fine.

See this post. Combination Meters that stop at 299,999 miles, Who's affected and what you can do about it. | PriusChat

#14 Kmun, Apr 10, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2019