1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dash Out - Electric Motor no longer assists.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Kurt Guenther, Oct 22, 2020.

1. Kurt Guenther

Kurt Guenther New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    New here.

I just recovered my 2008 from my college-age daughter. It only cost me my 2014 Prius. :)

The dash has been going on and off for awhile, but it seems to be out more than on. The battery was flat so I recharged (thankfully it took a charge) and the dash came on briefly.

She claimed that car was unreliable so I decided to take it for a spin. Minnesota, South Dakota, ... I noticed some hesitation on acceleration and add fuel injector cleaner. Wyoming, Colorado, New Mexico.... This hesitation seemed to come and go. I would have guessed a fuel filter, but I had that replaced 10,000 miles ago.

Texas, wow Texas, is big. Something went wrong as the engine light came on and it seemed to put itself in the Brake Gear (usually for coasting down mountains) with the engine idling fast on its own. I could turn off the car, restart and the problem would go away for 10 minutes.

I took it to a dealership, but when I restarted, the light was off. I dithered and made a 1100 mile dash for Fort Lauderdale to complete the 3500 (?) mile trip.

The car seems sluggish and the electric-side seems to have a mind of its own now. I suspect I'm no longer getting any boost from the electric motor as it has slow acceleration from the red light.

Question: Could this just be the obvious that the dashboard is out, stupid? I remember in the past that the longer the dash was out the flakier the car became, but the dash has never been out this long.

Total miles are around 200,000. It's been a good car; otherwise. I put $1500 into it about 10,000 miles ago for belts, brakes, tune-up at the dealership. The dash was working at the time, so they couldn't diagnosis it.

PriusCamper likes this.
  2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So the dash / speedometer is out? That's an easily repaired problem / former Toyota recall. Here's one popular option: Prius Speedometer Replacement

OR are you talking about the warning lights on the dash? As in Red Triangle, and other orangish lights?

3. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  4. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hmmmm, the only way to replace the fuel filter on a US spec gen2 prius is to replace the entire fuel tank- the filter and pump are part of the sealed assembly.

When you say the dash is out I assume you mean the part with the speedometer-(the combination meter - CM) that failure is fairly common and can be fixed per the other posts. If you are good with hands on work and soldering you can DIY.

However, when mine went out it prevented most of the warning lights on the CM from working. If that was your case that would mean you had problems and you couldn't see the warning indicators until it got bad enough that they were displayed on the multifunction display in the middle of the dash.

Warning lights plus performance problems point to faults with the hybrid drive system such as weak hv battery or inverter. You need to have codes pulled from all the car's systems then diagnosed.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Prodigyplace likes this.