1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dash Rattle

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Siva Ganesh, Jul 7, 2012.

1. Siva Ganesh

Siva Ganesh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    I agree with this: "Most obvious when the car is cold, first coulple of miles, in the morning." The only rattle I hear these days is when the car hits a bump on the roap and the noise is more like plastic creeking than a rattle, and especially in the morning (cooler temp.). As mention before, my dealer was pretty good in pulling the entire dash out and packing the gaps etc, with whatever they use! I am relatively very happy with the car now!!

(My best mileage so far: 2.9litres/100km or 81MPG(US) - short trip of about 20km or 12miles. Long distance travel: 4.5litres/100km or 53MPG(US).)

2. vdefender

vdefender Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I am a new C owner. My rattle (or creaking noises) were preset day 1. I didn't notice them at all on my test drive, But we were talking and messing with the radio etc. I have yet to contact my dealer about the issue. I'm going to be really surprised if they willingly offer to fix it, or put any kind of significant work into it. I also expect they wont offer a courtesy vahicle.

I think one of my creaking noises is eminating from the glove box, if I open the glove box while driving the noise goes away. I'll look to see if it is a plug back there dangling or if its just the hard plastic of the glove box creaking.

But it sure sounds like I have creaks and rattle coming from all over :(

3. TC400

TC400 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    i have some creaking my by passenger oh shit handle i think having a sunroof has something to do with it

4. Siva Ganesh

Siva Ganesh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    As I said earlier in this thread, our dealer (in New Zealand) was more than obliging! We do hear some creaks and rattles, but no as bad as it was before. I did take the panel around the radio out to see what they did and I could see some thin soft felt put around the edges etc. there. I did secire a couple of lose wires with some tape. I will be looking behind the glove box soon, but the rattles/creaks are not loud and they happen only very occasionally - like when you hit a bump or pot-hole on the road. The dealer who sold the car must fix it really as they did (at least tried) here.

5. Ashley7

Ashley7 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    My dealership fixed some of the rattles when I went in for the first service. Too much to get rid of completely though. I deal with it.

6. Prius NZ

Prius NZ Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Mine developed a rattle after the dealer installed the reversing sensors. I took it back and they tightened up the mods that were done under the dash now all good. Also they said Toyota policy on rattles is they will only repair them free of charge in the first year so don't let it go on for too long without getting it checked.

7. Ashley7

Ashley7 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Heh, my rattles got much better after I removed a heavy pen from the area behind the cup holders :p Surprised the techs didn't mention it when they fixed some of the other rattles. Maybe they didn't realize that's where it was coming from either.

8. Prius NZ

Prius NZ Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Nice colour choice for your Prius

9. Ashley7

Ashley7 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Same to you. I like your headlights--is that a mod, or standard in NZ?

10. Prius NZ

Prius NZ Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hi they are the LED headlights which come with a version called the i-Tech. :)

11. mohsin

mohsin Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Aqua
    Model:
    N/A

Dashboard rattle is very annoying especially if you are driving at night on urban roads.

Well I had enough, so i decided to fill up all the areas with "Polyfil Fiber Sheet" sometimes also referred to Polyester Wadding.
    The one i used was 1 inch thick, 4 feet wide in roll of some 50 feet. The stuff is easily compressible (better than foam sheet.

I started with the door panels, i cut polyfil sheet to size of door placed it on the frame and put on the door panel. After all the 4 doors I moved to the cargo area, took out the plastic toolkit storage unit and lined the base of wheel well and fixed it on it.

Thereafter i dismantled the dashboard to the extent i felt comfortable and filled every cavity with this material.

Believe me the car is sooooo quite its hand to believe. 95% rattle vanished.

Sorry i forgot to take pictures