1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dash Speaker Crossover Point

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by sjsushiman, May 10, 2016.

1. sjsushiman

sjsushiman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm in the process of upgrading the dash speakers in my 2012 Prius III and plan to replace them with a pair of polk db351's. The only issue I've run into is trying to decide on what capacitor to replace the stock bass blocker with, as the current capacitor in the stock setup, according to xs650's guide, is effectively using the dash speakers as tweeters. I'd like to capture more of the mids and move the soundstage up, as this would give more definition than the door speakers, which lose sound to your legs and the footwells. That being said, I don't want to flood the dash speakers with sound that they shouldn't be handling. Has anyone performed a similar upgrade that could give me some advice? Or any resident audiophiles that can weigh in on this? Thanks in advance for the help.

#1 sjsushiman, May 10, 2016
    Last edited: May 10, 2016
  2. CoolPrius

CoolPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I'm also interested in this upgrade since it might add the vocal clarity i'm looking for without upgrading a bunch of components.

3. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I went with active cross-overs and three separates. Click on my name, then click on my media.

4. sjsushiman

sjsushiman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    III
    That was basically my mentality in deciding to upgrade the dash speakers, they're the most cost-effective way to improve the prius speaker system's audio quality.

I could do that, but I'm trying to keep costs down by just fitting a new capacitor into the stock housings. I appreciate the suggestion though!

5. CoolPrius

CoolPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I picked up Pyle Wave PLX32 3.5 inch coaxial speakers and 300hz/150hz bass blocker for $15 bucks on parts-express. It will give me a little project to play with this summer. I'll probably try a couple different configurations with and without the factory and aftermarket bassblocker/crossover/thing.

6. sjsushiman

sjsushiman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm basically doing the same thing and it might come to trial and error, although if someone has faced a similar problem before I'd like to get some perspective before I just buy a bunch of capacitors.

7. FrankB

FrankB Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have in my notes from posts on this board:

Factory connector uses a 6.8uF capacitor for 6000Hz cutoff, replace with 100uF non polarized for 400Hz cutoff.

sjsushiman and CoolPrius like this.
  8. sjsushiman

sjsushiman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'll give that a try, thanks for the input!