1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dash vent outlet question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by pasadena_commut, Feb 20, 2020.

1. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A couple of weeks ago my '07 was at the dealer for A/C work which required them to take the dash out. Yesterday I noticed that the leftmost dash vent is now screwy. The louvers on all the other vents are parallel to the surface of the dash. This one isn't. The part closest to the door is flush with that dark plastic piece but the part farthest from the door is pushed in about a centimeter. If I poke at it the inside section can move in and out a little but the door side seems to be more firmly attached.

I have seen videos for dash disassembly, and I know that whole dark piece comes out, presumably with the dash vent outlet attached. But I have never seen a picture of the other side. For anybody who has seen the other side, is this likely a case of the vent assembly having popped out, such that it can be put back in place, or did they break something which is normally permanently attached?

(Based on my experiences with other dashes I estimate a 50% chance that vent is just not snapped into place in the larger piece, and 50% chance they snapped off the retaining hook on that side on the larger piece which holds that side of the vent in place.)

Thanks.

2. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Probably it can be just be taken out put together properly and pushed back in.

jerrymildred likes this.
  3. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think the only way to know for sure would be as @valde3 said. You mentioned seeing videos on the dash. I think this one is the best I've seen. Made it really easy with the wife's Gen 2.

4. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This afternoon I pulled the side strip out and found that the vent was not seated properly. Nothing broken. Reseated the vent in the strip, shoved the strip back in. All good and it only took about 2 minutes. Thanks for the video link, it is always good to see how pieces like that come out before one starts yanking/prying on them.

jerrymildred likes this.