1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dash Warning Lights and Symptoms (or lack of?)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by seabright_sc, Apr 7, 2017.

1. seabright_sc

seabright_sc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    2005 Prius
    158XXX
    Original Hybrid Battery
    12V battery a few years old, Optima, tests ok.
    Location; Santa Cruz, CA

Symptoms: Last week, for about 15 seconds at a stop light, prius seemed to rev very loud, then returned to normal. Car sat for two days. Yesterday less than 1/2 mile into a drive, same thing happens. Car ran ok, nothing out of the ordinary except for high revs (or a pump running?) for about 15 seconds while at a stop light. I stop at a store. Upon return, for drive home the following lights on dash turn on and won't turn off:

1. Red Triangle
    2. Check Engine
    3. Exclamation Point in a circle with parenthesis
    4. VCS Light.
    5. On touch screen display: an initial "Problem" with exclamation point followed by a red rectangle with a car/exclamation point icon in the left corner of display,

I car drove the next mile or two back home with no symptoms other than the warning lights.

This morning I started the car. Same 5 warning lights appeared and stayed on for duration of test drive.. I test from for about 15 miles (2/3 highway, 1 third slow traffic highway and city driving). MPGs 40.1- which seems normal. Battery Charging gauge/level would fluctuate, starting at 2 bars and rose to green, one bar shy of the top within a mile of driving. This rapid rise did not seem normal. Throughout test drive, bars ranged from about mid way to green and seemed to more rapid a fluctuation than I recall. The "Consumption" screen shows "50Wh" regenerated after the 15 minute drive with a 1/2 "green car" icon at each 5 minute interval on the display graph.

Next step: Mechanic to read codes.

Could this be the main hybrid battery? Or ?????
    Should it be the main battery, what are my low cost options as I do not want to put $3000 into a ten year old car, 158,000 miles with peeling clear coat:)!

Thanks!

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You need to get the codes read, the symptoms sound like a hybrid battery failure

3. biglew8

biglew8 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I would get the codes read like @JC91006 said. From what I read on here, some of the code readers do not pull Prius specific codes. People recommend using the Mini-VCI with Techstream to pull the codes. Some have even said to just get the codes read at the Toyota dealership if you do not want to mess with any code readers. Good luck and report back what you find.

4. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Of course, this is a WAG, but it is easy enough to do and probably needs doing anyway.

I wonder if just for giggles, clean the MAF and the throttle body and see what happens. Would not hurt, probably not help, but 30 minutes in time and around $20 in the chemicals....

5. seabright_sc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Update: I took it to two shops:

Shop A: Codes P0A80 and P3012. $115 for diagnosis.
    Shop A quoted $2400 for reconditioned battery pack, 3 year warranty.

Shop B: quoted $700-800 to replace the cells. $0 for diagnosis. He explained process of charging, monitoring discharge over several days, replacing cells based on data. 1 year, 20k mile warranty. Shop B reset the codes. Warning lights haven't come back on in a couple of miles of driving.

Shop A said, Don't drive the car! You will cause further damage to the battery.

Shop B: You fine to drive until repaired in a couple of weeks. No further damage can occur.

I will likely own this car for 2-3 years and another 30K miles.

Is replacing only the faulty cells a viable and worthwhile option?

Can I continue to drive the car for a week or two until I can get it fixed?

Thanks.

6. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Would be curious if either of the shops' warranties include the labor to remove and replace the battery if you ever had to take advantage of the warranty.

Guessing shop A is going with the rebuilt Dorman option (3yr, unlimited), with a one day turn around most likely. Will they credit the $115 towards the $2400?

Guessing shop B might know how to do a proper replacement (or not), and this could take many days of shop time without a vehicle (loaner available?). You might also inquire if once the bad cells are replaced will the battery be balance charged afterwards.

Driving around might not be the best idea for your existing battery, though if you are getting a new/rebuilt battery (from shop A) it doesn't matter (except for being potentially stranded between now and replacement).

Now in the shop B approach they would be replacing bad cells in your existing battery, so driving it around before repair might cause additional cell damage which will cost them more time and cells (but you already have an $800 quote).

Almost like the two shops got it backwards. Though you now have the codes cleared and there is a possibility of it be driven for months/years and nothing happening (even without repairing/replacing it).

Not sure if this would be an additional option on not : Traction Battery Preventative Maintenance - Hybrid Automotive Chargers | PriusChat

Maybe jeff652 | PriusChat will chime in with his thoughts.

7. seabright_sc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, $115 would credit the $2400 at shop A.
    I spoke too soon. Warning lights and battery fan are back on. But car drives close to "normal" though I notice the gas engine in on at idle and accelerating from a stop. Shop B said several days to order, test batteries. Not too big of a deal as we have an extra car. Thanks for the insight!

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would shop around some more. a doorman is $1,400. and should only be a few hundred to install.

changing cells is hit or miss, hard to predict. if you are doing it yourself, it's a lot of work, but no cost.

if you are comfortable with the risk, and the shop has a good rep, it might not be a bad way to go, even if you had to pay again.
    a lot of these shops are fly by night, especially when it comes to warranty service, so be careful.