1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dashboard and key glitches. Car wont turn off

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by christiw5, Mar 21, 2017.

1. christiw5

christiw5 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    We replaced the 12volt battery on my daughters car. After that she started calling saying she had problems starting and turning off her car sometimes. It usually starts when the dashboard goes out.
    After 1 incident of the car not starting. My husband dragged it to the dealership. Where of course they just sold us a new key.
    Drove the car about a week. Problems started up again. Dash goes out and the car wont turn off. Pulled the plug on the battery to get it off. Next day, car works fine. What the heck!!?
    Could it be something malfunctioning with the new battery?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    odd that it worked for a week with a new key. could be a bad dash meter, or loose connexion back at the 12v.

3. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Search for "Combination Meter Problems" your symptoms sound familiar!

christiw5 likes this.
  4. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sadly combo meter is covered 9 years only, and most Gen2 have that issue...maybe I better not replace my 12v battery

what model year?....you got 9 years to fix free

5. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Yep, classic combination meter (CM) symptoms. Usually worse in cold. By the way, the car will still drive and you need to hold the button more than 3 sec to turn it off. No odometer, and something funny about the rear hatch not working too.

Since you're out of warranty, I think the easiest thing to do is get one of eBay vendors to repair it for you. If you're handy with basic tools, you can do the tear down yourself in a few hours.

christiw5 and WilDavis like this.
  6. 'LectroFuel

'LectroFuel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    There was a thread about this about a week ago. It happened to me too.

christiw5 likes this.
  7. PriusCanLiterallyFly

PriusCanLiterallyFly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I replaced my 12v battery a few weeks ago and having been experiencing problem with combination meter not lighting up too. For me tho, it seems like not only the combination meter, but part of the car's system just doesn't seem to be on. No instantaneous MPG reading on the energy monitor, no cruise control, no warning beep sound, etc. Unplugging and re-plugging the 12v battery does make everything normal again but the next time I start the car cold it often just happens again. I did have this issue before replacing the battery but not as frequent. Is it the combination meter problem or is it my new batter is still bad?

8. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    disconnect the negative battery cable from the body.
    leave the drivers door open
    watch the dash for the red warning light that the door is open as you touch the ground cable to the body..(it will spark)
    if you see the red light keep the wire in place and put the bolt back in and tighten it.. (dash should work)
    if you don't see the red light the dash will not work when you put the cable back ..keep touching the ground to the body until you see the door warning light.
    I have no idea why these cars do this but I had a problem when I changed the 12 volt and this fixed it..
    has worked ever since..
    good luck

9. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    It's the CM. Anything that needs vehicle speed input won't work when the CM is down.