1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dashboard display with ghost double

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by icyrius, Feb 8, 2021.

1. icyrius

icyrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Hello. Drove my son's Prius and noticed his display panel had a ghost double. It is hard to capture with a phone camera. I hope your can see what I am talking about by looking at the pictures. Is this something that can be improved? Thanks

Attached Files:

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    To some extent that's inherent to the way that display works. The actual VFD display is down in the dash under that opening shown in the bottom of your second photo, and it projects up onto the pane where you see it. There's one reflection off the first surface of that pane, and a fainter reflection off the second surface. (And if you have the "touch tracer" display, those indicators are located behind that pane, and show through it.)

I've noticed the effect on mine, but either I've grown used to it, or you've photographed it in a way that really, really accentuates it.

I am not sure what would make it different in one car than another. I know lens makers have magical coatings they can put on a surface to kill reflections. Maybe Toyota coats the second surface with something like that, but somebody had this display apart once upon a time and washed the pane and the coating washed off? Total guesswork here.