1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dashboard failure and hybrid battery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by L Stern, May 26, 2017.

1. L Stern

L Stern New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi there, new to the forum, thanks for your help. I have a 2007 with 160k miles. A few weeks ago my dashboard display disappeared. Car ran fine and I was able to get it back again, but my general mechanic said his research showed that the malfunction could affect the hybrid battery. Yesterday, my dashboard lit up with all the warning lights and the dreaded triangle. Dealer said the battery needs to be replaced. Question is, could replacing the dashboard restore the battery? Or, if I replace the battery should I replace the dashboard also? 160k miles is way too soon to have to do this, right?

2. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    They are separate issues, as far as I know. The combination meter is a well known failure, as is the hybrid battery for that matter. The CM can be fixed for as little as $120 or so with a couple hours of labor. The hybrid battery could be as costly as $3500, so that will rule your decision. If you do the battery, you should also replace the CM.

You just missed a nine-year warranty extension on the CM.

Ten years is a good life for any chemical battery, regardless of the number of miles on the vehicle it is placed in.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! start by having the trouble codes pulled. you need a prius aware dealer, so probably a trip to the dealer.
    if you need the cm, try steve at autobeyours.
    if you need a battery, you have some research to do. you will need to think about how long you want to keep the car.
    @ericbecky is our resident expert in madison. he can advise you on your options.
    all the best!(y)

4. L Stern

L Stern New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for your replies. Tough decision; repair or buy new. The rest of the car is in great shape, do you think I can expect another 10 years with a new battery?

5. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Yes, expect ten years from a new battery. Another bonus is its portability. You could sell or transfer it to another Gen2 Prius during those ten years or so.

6. L Stern

L Stern New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks! Very helpful!

bisco likes this.