1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dashboard (Gen-II) Rattles Cured!!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Hytec, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Hytec

Hytec New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I've finally cured all the dashboard rattles in my 2005.

The cause was tab clips missing from dash panels on the driver's side. The first was missing from factory assembly, but I assume the others dropped off each time I disassembled the dash looking for the previous rattle. Each missing clip created a rattle with a different sound from the last, and coming from a location away from the clip's location. I finally found the last one yesterday, and now have no more rattles....knock on wood.

I bought a dozen clips from Toyota, Part # 90467-12080, and ended up using 5 over the years.

BTW, I owe many thanks to Chris Dragon for preparing the illustrated write-up, Stereo Accessory Installation Guide.

http://www.dracoventions.com/chrisd... Accessory Install Guide, 04 Prius, v1.03.pdf

Chris' Guide is very easy to follow, as long as you are careful putting the dash back together with ALL the clips.

Unfortunately, the source of my final rattle was from a missing clip that does not show in Chris' Guide which is why it took me so long to find it. Chris's guide shows only two clips on the left side of the panel under steering column, but there is a third that Chris' diagram does not show and text does not mention. This third clip is in the extreme upper right-hand corner of the left side, right against the steering column. It is hard to see because it is against the steering column, and of course I wasn't looking for it. Also the pin that holds this third clip slips easily into its receiving slot so there is no reason to think anything is wrong. I just happened to notice the pin and its receiving slot yesterday and wondered if it should have a clip...lo and behold, rattle cured. :cheer2:

3 people like this.