1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dashboard not lighting up / multi meter failure

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Paul_G, Apr 15, 2021.

1. Paul_G

Paul_G Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It seems like the dashboard not lighting up / multi meter failure is relatively common in the Gen 2 Prius. I've seen several posts and youtube videos with lots of different ways around it. For me, some have worked, some haven't.... and I have sometimes gone many hours and hundreds of miles without it before getting it to turn back on. The info button / turn headlights on & off 3 times to get into diagnostic mode has worked. The unlock door w/ key fob, open/close door, lock/unlock w/ key fob, start.... has worked..... and then again there are times where neither has worked. It's been a crap shoot and seems to be getting worse as time goes on....and it seems like cold weather makes it even worse.

I think I may have found the thing that works for me every single time.... it's worked for 1 week straight now without fail.

After I turn the car off, I leave either front door half open... just so it clicks one time and is half closed.... so that the red "door open" light shows up on the dashboard.... when I call it quits for the night and park my car with the door half open like that, making sure that the "door open" light is on, the multi meter / dashboard lights pop on each and every time when I start up the car the following day.

The only downside seems to be that you can't use the key fob to lock the door....so you need to lock the doors from inside before half closing the door. And the proximity sensor gizmo to unlock the door won't work either... you'll need to use the key fob to unlock the door (or the actual key). If your door has a small light on the bottom of it, that light will stay on... but it seems to draw so little current that it doesn't affect the battery enough to prevent it from starting.

It would be nice if Toyota would do a recall on this and just replace the bad cap, but until that happens, this work around has not failed for me yet on my 2006 Prius with 150k miles.... mid April 2021.

Does anyone know of a place that will fix this permanently in the Chicagoland area? Preferably the Naperville area. It seems like a lot of work requiring some serious knowledge.... and there's no way I'm gonna try it myself.

Hope this helps

TheLastMojojomo likes this.
  2. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Basically, all those workarounds rely on discharging your 12 V battery to near full discharge in order for the failed cap to work well enough so the circuit starts. While that is good for the combination meter in as much that it works, it is very bad for the longevity of your 12 V battery. At some point, the cost-benefit of just getting your CM fixed vs replacing your 12 V battery more frequently than you should, will have you at that tipping point very quickly.

In regards to repair, my suggestion would be to contact Matt @Texas Hybrid Batteries to arrange an exchange unit then find a competent local hybrid shop to exchange it for you if you feel doing that yourself is beyond your ability.

TheLastMojojomo and Paul_G like this.
  3. Paul_G

Paul_G Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Valuable info! Thanks. I might just buy one and be done with it.

I do need to take it to Toyota and get the air bag recall / replacement taken care of. Perhaps they need to take off the dashboard to replace the passenger one and they can do it then. I'll ask them.

I appreciate the reply

TheLastMojojomo likes this.
  4. TheLastMojojomo

TheLastMojojomo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There is a fuse in the fusebox down by the emergency/parking brake labeled "GAUGE" that powers the combination meter.

20210412_173419.jpeg

Pulling this and reinserting may work to start the meter but I have a functioning combo meter that I repaired awhile back and never tried it.

Not sure if this has ever been tried before.

20210411_164329.jpeg

There is a fuse puller in the engine bay to make it easy. Let me know if it works if you try it.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

#4 TheLastMojojomo, Apr 15, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
    Paul_G likes this.
  5. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wouldn't get Toyota to do it because A) the part alone is ~$700; B) labor will be ~$300; and C) your car will be with them 3-4 weeks (maybe longer due to COVID) while they wait on a new customized CM to come from Japan. It needs to be coded with your current odometer reading and so CMs can't be stocked locally.

But no harm in asking.

#5 dolj, Apr 15, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
    Paul_G likes this.