1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dashboard panels for a RHD Prius 2007

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by eterrestrial32, May 20, 2021.

1. eterrestrial32

eterrestrial32 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    So the whole thing started when the combo meter started going out intermittently. I used the phone apps + GPS + Torque trick to keep running whenever it conked out but eventually it would come back since the weather here in Hong Kong is usually warm for most of the year. However. of late, it has started doing that more regularly and I was thinking that I should get the combo meter replaced.

However, what is getting me to expedite the process is basically three of the textured panels on the dash have gotten some pretty large cracks going across them. First, it started with a small crack across the front top cover above the steering coloumn. That has gone from one small hardly noticeable crack to 4 large cracks crisscrossing across it. Then the lower glovebox on the passenger side developed a crack, which went from a small one to a huge u-shape across. And last the top glovebox panel is showing signs as well of cracks.

Anyway, so I contacted a local indie workshop who I've used and found reasonable in the past and he is quoting around US$1000 for 3 new panels, a used combo meter plus install. Plus, he's also saying that the vents might break in the process and that could add up to another US$500 if all 4 break. I am unable to source used parts locally due to language barriers but wanted to check if there are any online retailers who can sell these parts for RHD vehicles. The complication is that being RHD instead of LHD, it severely limits my options for purchasing through any US storefronts so any similar online retailers in UK or Japan, or even South East Asia would be highly appreciated, if anyone knows of them. I found one of the parts on eBay UK and while the part itself is only like $20-30, the shipping they are asking for totally kills it since the total comes to around $100, so just wanted to see if there are any better options.

2. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    If the parts are also used on right-hand drive Prius cars built for sale in Japan, you might try an exporting company such as IMPEX JAPAN, Amayama Trading, or JP-CarParts.com. They all have online catalogues.

eterrestrial32 likes this.
  3. eterrestrial32

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Thanks mate. Will check these out. Just from a quick take, Amayama Trading seems the most promising with how detailed they are. Would you happen to know where I can find the specific part numbers through a schematic for the RHD model?

Elektroingenieur likes this.
  4. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    On the Amayama Trading home page, click Parts Catalogues, Toyota, Prius, (XW20) 11.2005 - 05.2009, Body and interior, Instrument panel & glove compartment, (Steering wheel) Right, (Production years) 2007. Even if you choose to order there, I’m not sure I’d use their version of the catalog: it has both RHD and LHD versions together, and there’s a chance you might get the wrong part.

It might be better to use the catalog on JP-CarParts.com, which covers only cars sold in Japan. On their homepage, click Vehicle List, TOYOTA, P, PRIUS (2003/08 - 2011/12, NHW20), NHW20-AHEGB (2005/11 - 2009/03, 1NZFXE/HB/G), Body, 5501 INSTRUMENT PANEL & GLOVE COMPARTMENT.

5. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Or you could use TOYOTA | Japan Parts EU and enter in your VIN. It should then give the correct parts for your car.

The line drawings on this site leave a bit to be desired, though. Having a reasonable idea of what you're looking for does help.

6. eterrestrial32

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Thanks guys. I'll check it out to find the correct part numbers and see if there is a big difference from what the local workshop is asking for. He said that he can swap out the combo meter with a second hand one as well. I was like cool, but how do you ensure that the mileage matches. He was like you get whatever is on the replacement meter. I'm like what the heck man. I only have a 130K on the clock, what if you swap in a 200k combo meter, and he was like well that's your luck.

I'm pretty torn what to do now. On the one hand, I got the HV battery and the inverter cooling pump replaced in the last 18 months, which makes me think I should keep the car. On the flip side, it keeps throwing something or the other up which makes me think I should get rid of it. Of late, I've started getting the VSC, ABS and (!) light a few times randomly as well, which is going to be another cost I suppose.