1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dashboard rattle solved, but what is this

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Wraiththe, Aug 12, 2022.

1. Wraiththe

Wraiththe Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    2017 prius 4. There is a part under the top of the dashboard that has a small part on top that rattles. I put a piece of thick tape over it to quiet it... however... I wonder if that was a good idea. I have searched the manual (tech manual) and cannot find what this part is. I have also searched this site for an answer to no avail. So I am posting again. Can anyone tell me what this part is. It is under the upper dashboard panel in the center. Sorry this is the best pic I have.
    20220811_195528.jpg

The white thing on top is the tape. It is black, flat, and rectangular with a white/cream piece nestled into it from below. Less than an inch thick. The black piece above is was about an inch square... and it was loose and easy to find by tapping the top of the dash when it was open. Totally loose.
    20220811_195846.jpg
    20220811_200017.jpg

I am looking to find out what this part is and if I am hindering something by securing the top part down.

FYI, I asked toyota about it. The response was it is 7-9 hours labor to take the dashboard apart. F*^& that S&^T!

2. CooCooCaChoo

CooCooCaChoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    I wouldn't worry about it. Anything under the dash shouldn't be able to move anyway and is held down with tape or a plastic retainer clip of some kind. As long as its not under tension, kinked, or chafing in any way, you should be fine.

3. Wraiththe

Wraiththe Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    So then you know this as a fact? Very dangerous to assume. One would think that flap flapped for a reason... otherwise it would be secure... Unless it was to get us to pay for a $1000 dashboard rebuild.