1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dashboard rattle

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by mosesk, Dec 4, 2013.

1. mosesk

mosesk Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have a 2009 Prius with about 33,000 miles.
    Owned it for about 6 months.
    Right after I got it I started noticing a slight rattle in the dashboard, which originally started in the area of the front center-right.
    Over time it has increased. It now seems to move across over most of the entire dashboard.
    Early on, when I took it in to the dealer the mechanic seemed to indicate that this was not an uncommon problem with Priuses and he recommended removing the dashboard and trying to improve the insulation. He figured it would be a 2-3 hour job and cost about $300.
    Has anyone else run into this?
    I know it's tricky to describe rattles. When it first started months ago I would describe it as a "light rain".
    Now it's more noticeable.
    Road surfaces will affect the volume and characteristics of the rattle.
    It actually seems to move across the dash.
    I hope I have given a description that readers can understand.

Thanks

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Caused by running on those Goodyear Integritys. A hard hitting very hard rubber tire which is how it met its LRR designation. Running the pressure any higher than door placard is brutal.
    Its an awful driving car with those tires on it.

3. mosesk

mosesk Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    edthefox5- you've DEFINITELY motivated me to more seriously look at swapping those god awful Integrities.
    Why does Toyota pull such a stunt on us?

4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Very good. I think because its such a hard rubber LRR tire and it gets pretty good gas mileage they were able to meet the EPA mileage claims they made. That and Toyota probably paid $20 a tire for them.

Something had to give and that was ride and comfort.

5. bobodaclown

bobodaclown Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I'm happy with the Ecopia EP422 I'm running them at 42 Front, 40 Rear. Double check the passenger mirror cover is FULLY closed. It's easy to overlook. Wife has a habit of not closing the cover all the way and it drives me nuts when it rattles. The last bit of closure has some friction to it to keep it from vibrating.

6. mosesk

mosesk Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    bobodaclown- i've checked every possible source of rattle (i think)...and as far as i can tell it's something inside/under the dash...

first I'll do something about my tires...and then see if the rattle is impacted...