1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dashboard Rattling

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Daytripper, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Daytripper

Daytripper Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It seems ever since we hit 90K miles or so, the dashboard or something around there, is rattling like crazy. It used to be only when driving on certain terrain, one little part of the dashboard. Now it's loud and it's all over. Can I take it into a place to have everything tightened up? Would someone know how to do this? Thank you.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there are lots of dash rattles threads. search and read for diy or to advise pro. taking it somewhere might be expensive.

3. Daytripper

Daytripper Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks bisco, I did read thru some of those. I do not want to do it myself. Just wondering if anyone has taken it in to be fixed.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i've only read to the dealer, but perhaps someone who has taken it elsewhere will chime in. all the best!(y)

5. bobodaclown

bobodaclown Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Check the rear view mirror. Had it happen to me recently, thought it was dash.

6. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You will most likely have to add some special tape to tighten the various dash panels.

3M vinyl foam tape #4726
    "Designed for demanding gasketing, cushioning, damping and insulating applications"​
    3M™ Vinyl Foam Tape 4726

Comes in various widths by 36yards long; starts from 1/2in width.

PRICEY!
    Amazon has a seller of 1/2in width for $66; https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=3m+4726+tape
    Uline has 1/2in width for $47; 3M 4726 Vinyl Foam Tape - 1/2" x 36 yds S-16219 - Uline
    Search "3m 4726 tape" and click on the various listings to see if you can find cheaper.

READ to give you ideas on where to look/start, and what to try to "dampen/cushion."
    Saturday Mechanic: Hushing Interior Squeaks And Rattles

7. Coopers ST

Coopers ST Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Mine rattles on the lower part of the drivers triangle window.

8. JarvisHybrid

JarvisHybrid Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My 2012 Prius with 80K started having this rattle sound coming from the driver's side dash area. At first, I thought it was the front strut. After taking to a shop to inspect the suspension without results, I talked the dealership into looking at it when I brought it in for an unrelated recall (software update). I don't how I talked them into it as I declined the diagnosis that had a $150 price tag! I half suspect that they didn't even look at and just told me that I needed the steering shafts replaced because they knew about this issue from the previous generation. I took it to yet another shop, that didn't charge a diagnosis fee, but they just said that it's possible I need new shaft(s) and to take it to yet another shop that could do an alignment (it's also pulling to the right) and inspect it more closely! I was about to give up and just have someplace go ahead and replace the damned shafts when I found a post about this issue on here. After a half an hour, I had tightened the bolt on the top of the shaft up behind the steering wheel and the bottom one on the shaft near the floor and the rattling and the shaking was gone! I didn't need to take off the vent or kick panel, only the small black piece that holds the tire sensor stuff and let it hang to access the top bolt and the bottom access was easy as you described. Saved me $980!!