1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dashcam install in 2009 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by AgentRin, Feb 28, 2018.

1. AgentRin

AgentRin New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hi all, new member, first post.

My girlfriend has a 2009 Prius. I haven't yet researched if its a Gen 2 or Gen 3 yet so apologies if that info is needed for this question. But I got her a decent dash camera from Amazon and I noticed that the A pillar has a airbag, and I realize I know next to nothing about taking off the interior panels on this car. I don't want to screw anything up. Are there any recommended guides for this? Any pre-existing factory wiring I can take advantage of?

Thanks all.

P.S. The camera is a "Rexing V1P 2.4" LCD FHD 1080p 170 Degree Wide Angle Dual Channel" model. I'd link it but since my account is brand spanking new I can't insert a hyperlink.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    One thought I have, is to ask yourself how critical is it that all the wiring be hidden? Especially with the air bag factor, I'd be inclined to run the wiring neatly but exposed, along a seam. Maybe jury-rig "staples" out of paper clips if needed? The functional look.

3. AgentRin

AgentRin New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Fair point, and I'm ready to do that if necessary but you know, I want to put a little effort into making it look neat.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. 4est

4est Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Excel
    Easy to take off the plastic from the pillar. Take care to route the wires behind the airbag

I did this on my 2013 prius

5. AgentRin

AgentRin New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Disconnect the 12v battery before I do, correct? Is there a resource online for a tear down?

6. 4est

4est Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Excel
    Better to.
    If I remember correctly, pull from the upper side, and then extract it from the lower, under the dash. I do not remember if there is any screw up somewhere, but usually toyota uses so few screws, so I guess not.

It is an easy job, the term is held by 2 pop-up plastic things

7. qettyz

qettyz Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I pushed my dashcam wire between a-pilar and door seal. Been doing that with three different cars. Easy to do and no need to take anything apart.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. 4est

4est Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Excel
    Except when the curtain airbag deploy, the wire WILL be in the way!

Not sure what will happen. Either airbag won't deploy correctly, or it will tear the wire with everything connected to it

qettyz likes this.
  9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It'd be real nice if Toyota offered a sanctioned camera accessory, sorted this stuff out.

10. qettyz

qettyz Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good points!
    I pushed wire more behind the door seal. I would think that a-pilar cover will pop off and curtain airbag goes over door seal within good clearance. Installed wire so that it wont interference a-pilar cover pop off in any way.

11. Toyman321

Toyman321 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I just installed a dash camera in my 2015. I ran the cable under the dash, up the door seal and under the A pillar cover. To remove the cover gently pull from the top and work your way down. When you are routing the wire make sure it goes behind the airbag, not over.
    Here's the camera I installed, it was small enough it tucked in front of the rear view mirror so it's not in the way of the driver.