1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Data on how Prius would react in a braking situation?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by wfz, Sep 26, 2012.

1. wfz

wfz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I was in an accident that a truck switched lane with looking behind and sideswiped my driver's side. He then lied to the insurance company that due to traffic ahead we both braked, swerved, and hit each other in the middle. I'm looking for data on how prius would react in a sudden braking situations. I'm also interested in knowing whether body roll happens right when swerving or before the swerving?
    Any data on that?

Thanks a lot for your help,

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I can't help on the swerving data, but I will recommend that ANYTIME you are in an accident, find a witness and get their number(s). Sometimes the witness will be stopped or standing right there. In the end, the competing insurance company will cave when they hear you have a witness, otherwise they are likely to put words in the mouth of the their client. Remember that a commercial driver may lose his job based on the blame determination, so they will be wonderful at the accident and turn on you later. Police rarely will say one thing or the other relative to fault. By the way, no fault insurance would reduce or eliminate this kind of bs.

3. Eclipse1701d

Eclipse1701d Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I'm sorry to here about your dilemma. I recently was behind a similar accident, but when the front driver switched lanes, he caused the SUV in font of me to swirve so hard it flipped over and jumped the divider. I followed the person that caused the accident, until the police caught up.

Unfortunately, I think we may all have to invest in dashcams to prevent this type of fraud. It could've prevented the he said, she said thing. They only cost $149.00 and have an SD Card for easy retrievel of video. A cop could put it in his phone and see the video on-site.

4. gadgets2sell

gadgets2sell Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had a tractor trailer drift backwards at a red light and hit a rental car I was driving. He then drove away, I caught up to him and had to knock on his door to get his attention at the next light.

He denied doing anything. He claimed he did not back up , I figured he fell asleep at the intersection.

He provided his license and insurance info when I started to call 911.

Later my insurance company reported he denied ever talking to me but I had a photo of his drivers license.

The blame was denied and my insurance had to pay to fix the rental.

Get a witness they will lie. My carrier says all CDL drivers will deny fault.

5. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    "By the way, no fault insurance would reduce or eliminate this kind of bs." Not true. Under No Fault the owner's insurance company pays for the repairs. The claim is evaluated and the at fault driver's insurance company reimburses the other insurance and the deductible paid by their driver. The alternative is to determine fault first, before paying a dime to anyone.

OP's question can't be answered because we don't know what car is being driven or its option package.