1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"Date of First Use" Warranty Shell Game?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Capecodbeachfront, Feb 8, 2014.

1. Capecodbeachfront

Capecodbeachfront Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I am the paranoid guy who looks at a deal from a zillion directions before committing. So it is really difficult for me to admit I probably got fooled. Just bought and will pickup in 2 days a 2013 Prius V Model 2. My Prius V is being sold to me as a Certified Toyota thus with their Certified Warranty. Car has only 3000 miles on it so for around $22000 I know I am probably getting a fair price.
    But the Warranty part of the deal has me concerned. Sales person kept saying I would get the balance of the New Car Warranty plus the Certified Extended Warranty. Sounded fine to me. From the sales person I get handed off to the money guy. You know the... the fast talking sales guy you laugh at in commercials. Well about a third of the way thru his spiel "Date of First Use" comes up. Surprise, my 2013 vehicle with 3000 miles on it being purchased on Feb 7th 2014 has a 'first use date' of Feb 5th...2013! Yep, I just got snoookered out of a FULL YEAR of my great deal warranties. Seems the dealer likes to "sell" the car to themselves to be used as a service loaner. Then at some point it gets 'sold' back to the dealer to be sold as Certified Toyota. No way, Did I think a 3000 mile car was already a full year old and that bit of information somehow never came out in my salesperson dealings. Money guy's explanation... the sales lady is "new."
    Now the money guy moves on to giving me 'another' great deal this time on the Toyota Platinium Warranty. Price moves from $2300 to $1800 to $1300 to finally a "I feel bad for you" offer of $850 if you buy it now. I decide to pass on Platnium , nearly decided to pass on the entire deal!
    Should I be concerned the vehicle has only 3000 miles on it in its first year of life? I realize worrying about too low of miles seems silly but I question the effect it might have on the hybrid system and especially the batteries? I pulled a CarFax on the VIN# and found most of the money guy's dates were off by a month or so. But it does appear car has only been driven 1000 miles since July! Is there a DIAGNOSTIC TEST I might want to request to prove that the Hybrid system and Batteries have not been impacted? Any other suggestions? I like and want the vehicle but I am so new to hybrids this has me worried. Thanks.

2. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think you'll be fine, but if you're still concerned, why not buy a new one for a few thousand more?

3. MarcSmith

MarcSmith Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    same thing happened to me when I bought my wifes saturn vue green line from a Saturn Dealer... in late 08... but it was a GM executive car which went into service in mid to late 2007... as an early 08...the dealer purchased it from GM Fleet auction...

All that being said, the carfax should have shown the cars purchase history to help you make a better decision..

it is frustrating though to have a car with a 2008 model year to built and sold in 2007 as a 2008....or in your case 2012/2013

I need to go to toyota one day and have the service guy plug in my VIN number to see what, if any warranty I have left..

so with your purchase you get the toyota comprehensive certified warranty 12/12000 from your date of purchase so a year from now this warranty expires . a power train 7/100000 from original date of in service which means feb 2019 or 93,000 miles from now... the toyota certified warranty also runs concurrently with your toyota new car warranty. so in feb 2015 your bumper to bumper will expire...

around here a 2013 new prius V is running between 35K for a five and 24K for a two. and used ones are starting at 20K

so your are saving 2K over a new 2013 with zero miles. and giving up two years of warranty...

if i was in your position Id look for a new 2013 with zero miles, even if meant you have keep shopping or get the dealer to throw in an extended warranty at their price point of 22k the extended warranties for car dealers cost them very little... or try to get the price down(not likely)

I wish I had the option of a prius V wagon when I bought my 2010 a few weeks (could not find any in my price range)

And it is not uncommon for dealerships to buy new cars and use them as service vehicles and then resell them. I'd rather they do that and keep the vehicle "unpurchased" and rack up the miles... using dealer tags..

4. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    How long is the Certified Extended Warranty? Find out the details of this warranty. It sounds like you may be coming out all right on this.

The HV battery should not be a worry for you. The HV battery warranty is 8 years or 100,000 miles for most states and 10 years and 150,000 miles if a CARB state. If like most you will reach the mileage before the years.

5. MarcSmith

MarcSmith Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  6. Capecodbeachfront

Capecodbeachfront Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I suppose you could say I should have run the CARFAX before closing the deal. But I really think the salesperson 'said' or gave the impression car was 3 to 4 months in service. Said something like the dealership only keeps the loaners for 3-4 months before selling them. Which in this case WAS true but then sat on lot for more than 6-7 months priced too high to sell. BTW the same salesperson sold a second 2013 Prius V the same day... I'll have CARFAX tha one to see if they got the same warranty surprise. So far no one feels the time sitting will have any effect on the batteries???? At this point that is my real concern. Still undecided on the $850 Platnium Warranty. Money guy called it the same as bumper to bumper. Covers "wear" not just defective parts? Not sure I believe that! Guess I can see why I only replace cars every 8-10 years.... Sales guys remind me of the old joke.... skunks, lawyers, and skid marks. Car guys could replace the lawyers!

7. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    You got a good deal. The batteries are no concern. The Certified Hybrid Warranty is fine as it gives you a powertrain and HV Battery warranty through 100,000. I would verify it's the Hybrid version, but I am sure it is. The underlined links will take you to more information.

The Platinum Warranties come in many different miles and years so I would verify which is being offered and how it fits your driving. In other words someone who drives a lot would want the highest mileage with years a lesser concern. Someone who drives a little (maybe 10k a year) might go for the highest years with lesser concern on mileage. You can wait until the factory 3yr or 36k almost expires and still buy the Platinum Warranty. You probably don't need it with you Certified Hybrid Warranty. You do get more parts covered (much like the original 3/36k factory) but you have a very reliable will built car. Usually significant quality related defects that might occur are covered by recalls regardless of warranty.

The thing to do now is understand your coverages and then optimize your mpg costs with your new Prius v. It is new with only 3k miles.