1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

David Pogue (NY Times) Bought a Prius

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Rebound, May 4, 2012.

1. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/05/03/the-prius-v-and-its-entune-system/

"I didn’t want another minivan; driving around a gas-guzzling seven-seater didn’t make much sense when 98 percent of my trips involve one child and one driver. I definitely didn’t want an S.U.V.; in the 18 years I’ve lived in Connecticut, I have yet to encounter a flash flood or a sudden mountain on the way to the grocery store. Yet I wanted something roomier than my beloved Honda Fit. I love it, but two of my three children are now teenagers, so it has become a tight Fit indeed.

I finally settled on the brand-new Prius V, which is an enlarged Prius.

Toyota’s always been the leader in hybrid motors, and I’ve always loved the regular Prius. The Prius V (pronounced “vee,†not “fiveâ€) is something like a crossover Prius. To my children’s delight, it has as much room as a small S.U.V.; the back seats offer 30 percent more space than the regular Prius, and they even recline."

(He goes on with a very well deserved critique of Entune).

2. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    lol

Got to love Pogue. I have been reading his columns for going on 20 years.

3. 2sk21

2sk21 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    A great review of the v. Seeing that I also switched from a minivan to a v, my feelings are almost identical. His comments about Entune are spot on. We recently went on a road trip to Washington DC and several times, the nav system warned us about phantom traffic jams. On the other hand, it did accurately spot some of them properly - not that we could do much about it since we were stuck on the New Jersey Turnpike.

4. fjpod

fjpod Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Goodness,... somebody is addicted to music, touchscreens, bluetooth and GPS.

5. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    David Pogue is a technology editor, not an auto reviewer. It's natural that he'd hone in on the gadget. He probably has no idea what kind of suspension the car has, it's turning radius, and if you asked his opinion on the Atkinson engine, he wouldn't know what you're talking about.

6. fjpod

fjpod Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Didn't realize that. Thanks.

7. Keiichi

Keiichi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Well, you have to admit though, a lot of car drivers are not car enthusiasts, but people who just look at what is in the car and what the car provides. Hell, I'm one of those who focus more on the car providing what I want versus the acceleration or if I can perform certain car aspects that would be better done in a BMW or an Audi car.

8. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Tech writer it is true, but Pogue is *very* literate in many areas. He started out as a music conductor, before he let his computer hobby get the better of him.

I wouldn't bet against him when it comes to understanding his toys, although you will not find proof of it in his NYT columns.

9. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    No disrespect was intended. Heck, I rebuilt my VW engine when I was twenty, but I never heard of an Atkinson cycle engine until I bought a Prius.

10. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    Pogue has written about the Prius MANY times before. he is not unaware of much going on the world.

11. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Yep. He bought his first Prius before me, and a quick google shows I have not been keeping up with him

He has made a NOVA mini-series called "making stuff." I'll definitely find time to watch.

12. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i 2nd that, great show and also has another great NYT writer Thomas Friedman who has also put out a lot of good stuff

13. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sounds like crap. Also, who asks for this hand-holding that GPS systems do not allowing you to change things while it's moving? Are drivers asking for it? Is government? WHY? I understand the concept, but it's very irritating in practice.

14. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i guess we could cobble together a workaround and then ignore the regulation just like we ignore the speed limit.

now, i dont have it, but does it not still work in voice control mode even when driving?

15. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There is a regulation for this, then? If so, why doesn't it apply to windshield-hanging GPS units?

16. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    it doesnt? that would be news. but you live in a different state. do it here and you will be busted! but then again, have the passenger do it. problem is the law is pretty much on the same level as speeding. you only need to hope the Trooper is not having a bad day and you will be fine

**note; "d" dropped intentionally from last word on post.

i see dozens of people on their "non" handsfree phone every day... that is also illegal

17. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Most likely, Toyota's attorneys are concerned about liability in case of an accident. You can enter a destination while driving, as long as you know it and you get the voice recognition to understand you.

18. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Automakers Argue Portable Cellphones, GPS Can Also Distract | TheDetroitBureau.com

My pioneer system also has a lock out, then there is stuff on the web on how to work around it. This prevents you from suing pioneer, since you are not using the system as they intended it.

Think of it this way, there is no way to prevent you from using your gps, text, etc on a cell phone while moving. Many states don't allow you to hold your cellphone as a phone, but do allow you to use it for gps. If they didn't would they then make it illegal for a driver to look at a paper map while driving?

19. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Very nice review.

But his first descriptive sentence inwhich he describes the Prius V, as being an "Enlarged Prius"?

Makes me want to turn my head and cough.

As I approach middle age? I think I wish he'd just of said it's a "Larger Prius".

20. Keiichi

Keiichi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    What? You don't want an enlarged Prius.

(Yes.... I went there...)