1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Day 1, first 100 miles - surprises!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ECHOSYS, Dec 23, 2005.

1. wilco

wilco New Member

In Europe diesel is cheaper than gas, and there are lots of cars over there with 1 to 2 liter diesels that don't clatter all that much, and get excellent mileage. I think that's what drives the diesel market.

Yeah, that is pretty silly. Check this out HybridInterfaces

Here is the PC thread on the Can-View.

I take it you don't fly an Airbus ;)

2. ECHOSYS

ECHOSYS New Member

I had to go back to the dealer this morning and I asked them about the Auto On function for the headlights. Well, they checked the Package listings and then we went out and looked in 2 2006's. One was a pkg 2, the other was a pkg 3, and mine is a pkg 7. None of them had the Auto On headlight position on the light switch. It is shown in the 2006 Owners Manual but they now think it has been dropped for 2006. One Sales rep suggested just leaving the lights on, as they turn off when you turn off the car (Auto Off is still there).

Hobbit - They change the Drivers Training procedures here in Michigan and it is now much more like the Student Pilots program (I won't even go into the new Sportsman Pilots license). Basically, it requires 50 hours of driving with an adult, then no night driving, no more than 1 passenger and doesn't become a valid Drivers License until age 18. I am not sure if this is a nation wide program or not, but I am glad to see it here.

As an aside, I also found out from the Service Write-up guy (also a volunteer fireman) at the dealership that all policemen and firemen in Michigan MUST undergo training for dealing with hybrid car accidents. There is a training session every year they must attend to stay current (sic) on the technology. Can you picture some fireman grabbing the Main battery cable with the Jaws of Life!

Ed

3. wilco

wilco New Member

:lol: I've known 2 ...one V tail, one not. Someone has to keep the stereotype going :lol:

4. ECHOSYS

ECHOSYS New Member

Wilco,

Do you think we should let the non-pilot forum members in on this old joke or would we offend the MD pilots?

Ed

5. rogerSC

rogerSC Member

Diesel fuel used to be cheaper than regular-grade gasoline in this country. I don't remember exactly when it became more expensive than gas, but it wasn't that long ago. I did find a Detroit Free Press newspaper article from 10/27/2004 that mentioned diesel fuel prices jumping quite a lot, and attributes that to world-wide demand for it:

"Diesel prices have jumped 48 percent in a year from $1.49 a gallon to average $2.21 a gallon nationally, the U.S. Energy Information Agency reports. The statewide average in Michigan is $2.25 and according to AAA Michigan is the highest in history.

Michigan motorists are paying an average of $2.03 a gallon for regular unleaded gasoline, compared with $1.56 last October. "

and

"It all comes down to supply and demand," Brockwell said. "Demand in many industrialized nations in Asia such as China, India and Thailand is growing at rates that rival that of the U.S. Worldwide, diesel fuel is much more in demand than motor gasoline."

-Roger

6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think most of us MD pilots are more than aware of the "Doctor Killers" reputation--no offense taken, it's a personality thing more than anything.

BTW, I'm going to go against the grain a little and defend the diesels. Today's modern diesel autos are much much quieter and cleaner than those most of us know and hate. Today's TDI though certainly not as quiet as a Prius is a darn good car that is about as quiet as the average gasoline powered vehicle. Frankly it was purely ignorance of how far diesels had come that kept me from considering one back when I was deciding on a Prius. I now regret not considering them more carefully--if only to be better educated about them.

7. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yes and no matter how hard you press on the brake peddle it still won't stop. Last time I drove my old Explorer to the dump my right leg was sore for the rest of the day from pressing on the brake. The other thing is that I tend to jump in the car and expect to push a button to start it. I then have to undo my seat belt so I can get my hand in my pocket and get the key out!
    Check out Efusco's stages of Prius Mastery.

8. flynz4

flynz4 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Maybe we need our own post for pilot prius owners. I do not fly professionally. I have a Cessna 206 that is a great cross country machine.

/Jim

9. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    Maybe in the northern climes you don't have this, but CA is overrun with ice cream trucks and even little pushcarts, mostly operated (but not owned) by Mexican/Hispanic "immigrants". They cruise neighborhoods in even the smallest towns whenever it's over 60 degrees, it seems. They all have calliope-type music to announce their presence.

Maybe this should be the Prius's next option---a little weatherproof speaker that will play (like ringtones) a number of snippets of music.

Can you imagine announcing your prersence in a parking lot with the opening notes to Beethoven's 5th? :D

10. EricGo

EricGo New Member

OP, for a laugh out loud moment, head over to john1701a.com, click on Prius videos in the menu on the left, and watch TV:recharge.

Congrats on your new car/toy. It really is quite brilliant.

11. mdmikemd

mdmikemd Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I lived in NJ for 33 years, home of those "Softee" Ice Cream trucks...and that annoying music!

12. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There are apparently real-life products out now that allow people
    to mount speakers underneath their cars and feed sampled/synthesized
    engine noises to them at high volume, which even track throttle/
    acceleration. Evidently it's possible to make your ricer sound like
    a Harley, or your big-block 'Stang sound like a Vespa. Go figure.
    I don't have a URL offhand but if your googling turns up nothing,
    I can dig around.
    _H*

13. Newman

Newman New Member

Get the soundtrack to Chitty Chitty Bang bang and wire a speaker under the hood just behind the lower front grille thing, then play the part the car makes when it is starting up.