1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Day Three

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by daniel, Dec 14, 2006.

1. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    daniel, weight will fluctuate. no matter how bad your body image, you are mostly water, not fat. having that much water in you means a lot of weight fluctuation would be caused by the different moisture content in your body which can vary over a relatively large range (a few pounds is within that range) considering how much energy it takes burn off a pound of fat. even with a vigorous exercise program, assuming no other changes in caloric intake, an hour a day, 6 days a week, you will only lose about 2 lbs. but that two pounds represents 7000 calories, and if you count calories on your workout, you know that represents a lot of huffing and puffing.

heck i watch my weight all the time and right now im on a kick to get down to 165. and my goal is a ½ pound a week.

2. jimmyrose

jimmyrose Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    A practical rule of thumb is losing ~2 lbs. a week - more than this and you may be losing lean muscle mass; although if your protein intake is sufficient, this shouldn't happen. Weight-bearing exercise is important in the overall scheme; again, to not only maintain but increase lean muscle. More muscle = higher resting metabolism = more calories burned. From your references to medical problems, I would only suggest this with a doctor's advice. Obviously, if you can incorporate weight lifting in your diet/exercise regimen, the scale may not show the improvement that a measuring tape will, since muscle weighs more than fat.

The problem with diets is that they end, either when the gaol weight is achieved, or people just give up. Your old eating habits return, and bingo, you're back to the weight you started at. Unfortunately, more of the weight you regain is fat, thus your total bodyfat is higher after regaining than it was before the diet. Referred to as yo-yo dieting.

Generally, diets don't work long term. One needs to change their entire relationship/philosophy towards food. I notice many, many avatars on PC that have cats in them. Cats know how to eat. They eat several times a day, usually in small portions (and yes, I know there are some seriously overweight cats - my father-in-law has a monster that is >28 pounds whose stomach barely clears the ground when he walks). The newer "diets", South Beach, Mediterranean, etc., are going this route - 3 main meals (albeit smaller than "traditional" main meals) with 2 or 3 snacks between; basically you eat every 2-3 hours. Protein/Carb/Fat ratio is important, also. The point is that this is a sustainable "diet" over the long term.

Hope this didn't sound too preachy, I do wish you luck with your endeavor, regardless of the methodology.

3. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Feb 21 2007, 07:11 PM) [snapback]394330[/snapback]</div>
    I figure that a mile of jogging is worth an apple. So few calories are burned during exercise that the exercise itself represents an almost imperceptible amount of fat. But the exercise is needed for overall health. I exercise more for my heart than for my weight, and I'm addicted to jogging (endorphins, perhaps). And yes, I fluctuate more in a day than I hope to lose in two weeks of dieting. But in addition, I have an appetite disorder: I feel hungry when I do not need food, but regular jogging greatly alleviates this, so I am less hungry when I am jogging regularly. Also, my resting pulse is far lower, and my blood pressure is healthier, when I am jogging regularly.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ZenCruiser @ Feb 21 2007, 08:04 PM) [snapback]394355[/snapback]</div>
    Not only that, but if I lose weight too fast, I cannot keep it off. I am presently losing a pound a week. This is a very healthy rate, and it's a level I can maintain. It's also a rate that will get me to my goal before summer's hiking season begins. I'll be hiking those steep mountain trails, as much as 3,500 feet vertical gain in a day, carrying almost 20 pounds less than last year.
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ZenCruiser @ Feb 21 2007, 08:04 PM) [snapback]394355[/snapback]</div>
    I agree with this also. Unfortunately, my shoulders won't permit much upper-body work, and at my age (58) you just don't build much muscle mass. I'm pretty well stuck with the muscle I've got.
    The first time I lost weight, I managed to keep it off for 15 years. Then some bad lifestyle decisions put me on a path of poor health habits and weight gain. The second time I did just what you warn against: I reached my goal and resumed some unhealthy eating habits. I figure the third time's the charm. My diet is healthier this time, and I've never made the same mistake twice as regards my eating habits. Pizza was my downfall the last time. I know better now.

The odd thing was that way back in the old days, home-made pizza was my staple food. Crust made from whole-wheat flour out of my own flour mill using North Dakota hard red spring wheat grown locally and purchased by the 50-lb bag from the local grain elevator, home-made tomato sauce, and far too much cheese. Twenty years later, and no access to good wheat, store-bought pizzas were obviously not good for me, though I ate them far less often. Well, from now on pizza is an occasional treat, not a staple food.