1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Daylight to Dark difference

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by terry brecheen, Jul 12, 2014.

1. terry brecheen

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I just traded my 2012 Prius three for a 2012 Prius five with ATP and hud etc. Though I really loved my three with sunroof, leather seats (not soft tex), nav and I bought Michelin Energy Saver AS tires for it. It was extremely nice but my five level is like a night and day difference. The ride is much nicer, the ATP package is most useful. I couldn't believe the like new condition this five is in. The electric seat is a God send for my behind and back. I made the same 300 mile trip two weeks in a row one in each car and I lost only 2mpg with the five. I have the tire pressure at 32 pounds for the nice ride. On the way home I will inflate to 38 pounds just to see if there is much of an improvement. Thanks everyone who took the time to answer all my dumb questions before I made my purchase.

Attached Files:

ftl and robertk328 like this.
  2. Stratman

Stratman Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    image.jpg You may pick a few mpg's by going up on tire pressure but there is definetly a trade off from the nice ride. I have a 2014 2 and started out with 42/40 psi. It rode like my old Sears and Roebuck go kart from when I was a kid. I settled on 40/38 as a compromise and 2psi made a world of difference in comfort. You want 2psi more in the front than the rear, hence 40(front)/38(rear). You will really feel the difference when going over RR tracks at higher pressures from 32. There is no right or wrong here. You're still going to squeeze a lot out of a gallon of gas.

BTW nice car. I have the silver also and love the color.

3. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Different tyres, different pressures. Why blame the Prius model ?
    As for comfort, I have owned the Lexus CTh and the Prius base vagon. I'll take the vagon anyday for long trips.

4. Stratman

Stratman Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There is no blaming the model. I test drove a 4 and settled on the 2 because it's basically the same car to me. One just has different amenities. The Prius is a a commuter car optimized for city driving. It's gets you where your going with no frills. On the highway, my Civic EX was a high dollar Mercedes compared to my Prius as far as comfort goes. I got the Prius to get me to work cheap and that's what it does. For a long highway drive I'll take my CR-V any day.

5. Roland1555

Roland1555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Shows how we are all different. I was broken after a 2 1/2 drive up north here in BC past Whistler from Vancouver driving a friend's CRV.

While taking my 2010 ATP Canadian Advanced Technology on a 7000km road trip down through California Arizona and Nevada was great. I doubt the different models of Prius have that much to do with it, mine has leather seats with electric lumbar, but otherwise manual, just that we ourselves find comfort in the different seats and relative heights in various vehicles.

Roland

SageBrush likes this.
  6. terry brecheen

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Roland I agree with you totally. I just traded my 2012 level three for a2012 level five. The comfort is so much greater in a five. Electric seats, lumbar, ATP make the driving experience so much more tolerable. I see why they are more expensive. Glad I traded.

Roland1555 likes this.
  7. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I completely disagree. I know cars that are made CHEAP and are intended for commuting only. The Prius is anything BUT a cheap car. Designed to be "eco-friendly" (sic), but not intended to be for short trips only. There is no reason an "economy" car costing over $20K (USD) shouldn't be equally suited for highway touring or commuting to work where driver/passenger basic comfort is concerned.

Roland1555 likes this.
  8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just be aware that our Canadian Technology Package models still come with the 15" wheels. Only the "Touring Package" adds the 17" alloys and LED headlights.

9. Roland1555

Roland1555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Not only are 15" tires typically a little easier in terms of fuel economy, but they tend to be softer riding than a lower profile tire that might react to steering inputs more sharply as well as bumps along the way.

Roland

10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Agree. And cheaper to replace!

That being said, I prefer the steering ratio of the 17" models. The steering ratio on ours is too slow (seems slower than the Gen 2)

11. Stratman

Stratman Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Agreed. Had I test driven a prius with 17" low profile tires the ride would have been a deal breaker for me. The way mine rides now with the 15's at 40/38 already almost has my teeth chattering. It was acceptable at the test drive in the low 30's. Especially at highway speeds where I seem to feel every pebble in the blacktop. I'm usually pretty exhausted from the 6 hour drive to my fathers due to that. I have to take "extended" potty breaks and stretch a bit. My old '08 corolla drives much more like a bigger car as far as comfort. I may try taking down the pressure on my next trip to see if that helps. If not, my wife will have to drive it to work while I take her CR-V. She can't stand driving it. She says it rides like her old '76 Mustang II she had when we first got married. Taking away her Honda is like putting a small child in time out. The Prius is definetly a niche car.

12. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It rides a lot smoother at factory 35/33. I did that for a month or two this Spring for the first time since I bought the car lol. I was sick and tired of the jarring ride due to the rough conditions that the roads are (the higher pressures are great on new roads though)

13. Roland1555

Roland1555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius

As Tideland has said, the car does ride nicer if you stick to the factory tire pressures. I agree and only tried for a tank and a half with higher pressures on the Good Year tires I recently sold... the higher pressures really made a minimal if any difference in my overall total mileage number. But, if you could not avoid a certain pothole or ridge in the pavement, the jolt was more pronounced. Not worth reducing the added effect of using the car tires as bushings for the suspension in my opinion. Those tires had very stiff sidewalls compared to my new Nokian tires, and the OEM Ecopias as well as the also sold Michelin X-Ice tires. The softer sidewall seems to soak up many of those bumps, but the low rolling resistant tires seem to permit this deflection without exacting a penalty in the fuel consumption. But despite having now returned to a tire with a more flexible sidewall when you actually pick up the tire in your hands before it gets mounted, I am staying with the factory pressures. They are very responsive, quick and light with a tread section that is solid so no need to pump up the PSI as far as I'm concerned.

Sorry that even with the 15" you are feeling all the pebbles on the road. Do try the pressure and see if it helps without hurting the gas mileage. Maybe when it is time to replace the tires look for the models that have greater comfort ratings not at the expense of fuel consumption. The car itself has a reasonably compliant good ride, but high tire pressures and the wrong tires can easily get through to you more than in some other vehicles out there.

Roland

#13 Roland1555, Jul 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
  14. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <<shrug>>
    Certainly the stiff foam seat and 80 psi tyres make for a ride where the road is felt, but no big deal.

Oh, wait. You folks are complaining about a car !?

15. Stratman

Stratman Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two

16. Roland1555

Roland1555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Railway tracks can be a good test for sure.... but if you are going to bleed some of the pressure off.... try taking it down to what it says on the door jam... 40 down to 35 would be 5 pounds off at cold pressure right?
    If it helps, I hope it does... maybe then bring it up a couple of PSI and see if it does any harm to the ride. I don't mean to annoy anybody who likes to keep the tires hard to boost mileage, just trying to say that the harder tires ride rougher, and myself, like the smoother ride and don't or haven't seen that much of a difference in overall consumption to make me personally take the hard road.
    Where you live makes a difference too of course. Most of the roads around here use a 'nice' smooth sort of asphalt pavement but not all. Some sections use rougher concrete, and there are actually many little chiefdoms or cities that make up the Greater Vancouver District and it seems that these guys all have slight differences in their road budgets and specs. Overall, I like the quality of pavement here that produces less road noise to residents that I do south of us in Washington State. Man, WASDOT or whoever it is uses some barely crushed rocks to pave part of Interstate 5 I swear. Somewhere south of Mt. Vernon and down towards Marysville I really feel your pain... every pebble it seemed last trip down there on the GY's. Well, not quite actually, but annoying and even with the radio turned up it was a pain and hard to converse with people in the back seat with the roar of the road.

Roland

17. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Another suggestion for a tyre replacement when the time comes is the Goodyear Assurance ComforTred. It provides a bit more cushioning over standard all season tyres (20% according to Goodyear)