1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Daytime Running Lights Finally Installed

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by MrSteveB, May 10, 2015.

1. MrSteveB

MrSteveB Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I've been rather annoyed we didn't have the option to have DRL on our cars. I hate having my headlights on because of the cost of the bulbs. The less I can run the HIDs the better, but the running indicator lights don't do much at all for allowing people to see you on a cloudy day or early mornings where lights aren't needed but should be on anyways for visibility.
    I ended up pulling the indicator lights and running a voltmeter on them. I was looking for even a 10V circuit, to my delight I was running at 11.5 with the car off and a 12.5 with the car on. I went for these lights because they come on with the first click of the headlight switch. The second click is obviously what brings on the headlights. I ended up buying some COB LED strips.. Let me tell you, those things are BRIGHT. I couldn't look directly at them when they were on. I tapped right into the indicator light wires with a tapping bit (I don't know the actual name so see pics for what they are). It was extremely easy to mount and wire them in. The problem with them is that they need a flat surface to mount on.. Our cars are round almost everywhere, I couldn't find anywhere decent to mount them.. That's when I had a genius break through. I mounted them facing down above the chrome grille insert just below the hood. This allowed for almost no wire routing and super easy placement. I cleaned the are with industrial glass cleaner and peeled the 3M sticky tape that came on the lights and placed them. Then I took some tiny C clamps and put them on for about 5 mins each side just for that extra grip. The light bounces off the chrome and can be seen at all angles. Once the chrome was cleaned with the same glass cleaner it was extremely bright. This is an excellent solution to our DRL problem without having to wire additional switches into the car or creating circuits elsewhere.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Data Daedalus likes this.
  2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The real test is, how do they look in bright daylight sunshine? Everything looks brighter at night. ;)

Also, you could have wired them to any circuit that is powered when the car is in Ready mode using a relay and take power from the fuse box. That way you don't have to turn on your parking lights during the day.

3. Data Daedalus

Data Daedalus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Brilliant! I like the way they've been installed - taking advantage of the Prius II's design to enhance their operational capability.

Well done :)

4. MrSteveB

MrSteveB Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Actually, they are quite bright during the day. These COB LED's are awesome, I'll grab a picture next time I see the sun out there! Definitely bright enough to see them during the day. I actually prefer to keep my parking lights on at all times. I installed these for visibility and I prefer my tail lights to be on too. I switched out the original tail light for LED's as well and they are brighter and more of a deep red than the originals. Thanks for the thought though.

Thank you! The best part is, you can hardly tell they are there when they are not on. Except you can see the yellow COB strip in the reflection of that chrome grille.. But to someone who doesn't know about cars it's not that noticeable.

5. gardson

gardson Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks good and pretty bright. Where did you get those LED strips?

6. kutcht1

kutcht1 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK, I need to know where and what of this install. Can you give a step write up of how they were hooked up and where you bought them? I like this and want day time runners but do now want to bust open the headlights to put in an LED strip where the fake one is.
    TomK

7. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Daytime pics in full sun have still not been posted. ;)

8. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Amazon:

Sunsbell 2pcs 14.3cm Super bright waterproof vehicle LED Lights COB LED Strip light for DRL driving automobile repacking white light 12V 6w
    by Sunsbell

JeffD

9. ExMachina08

ExMachina08 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You're almost a month in from your install. Care to update on your thoughts? Are they still holding up well? I'm considering do this with the same light-bars because I'm tire of clocking hours on my headlights when all I need is something to let people know I'm there.

10. Data Daedalus

Data Daedalus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Daytime pics! Daytime pics! Daytime pics! (To the chant "USA..."). Please?

iPhone ?