1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Daytime running lights on USA model?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by oscarcat, Apr 7, 2011.

1. djras

djras New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Truck-Lite makes another module that seems to do all you want: Headlights on at 75% power (to increase bulb life), off while parking brake engaged, tail light / side markers also lit.

http://www.truck-lite.com/wcsstore/tl/resources/images/en_US/PDF/09-08Ele.pdf part #97302 on page 179

Dave

2. Sergio-PL

Sergio-PL Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    European Toyotas (at least in Poland and at least from 2008) have DRL functionality using headlights. As soon engine is on (or READY in Prii) headlights and tail lights are on. When you turn engine off, the lights goes off. It is not possible to turn lights off. You can switch between:
    0 - headlights ON, instrument cluster - high intensity
    1 - park lights ON, instrument cluster - night mode
    2 - headlights ON, instrument cluster - night mode

If you switch off your car (at least on 2008 and 2010 Auris) when switch is in postition 2 - park lights are activated (in place of headlights). If you switch car off in "0" lights goes off.

It is done via small device mounted in steering column, near steering wheel which check ignition status, key status and light switch status and acts accordingly. Some people removed it who didn't like that it is impossible to turn off lights while engine on.

It may seem strange, but it is quite useful as Polish law requires driving 24h/7 with headlights ON or with DRLs that should deactivate as soon as headlights are turned ON.

3. bottomfeeder

bottomfeeder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well?

4. cobradb

cobradb Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    add LED some where in the grill
    1 relay and 3 fuses and 30 min,
    operates when pwr is on. put this combo on maxima .

5. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I'm not one for regulations - but this is a proven safety addition ........ And with LED lights ....the "energy" costs of running all these bulbs during the day no longer has any merit. All cars should come with DRL.

Since the high beam has a wider reflector throw - you can see the light from many angles .... they make better DRL. But I would settle for anything ..........I just leave the headlights "on" ...... but if forces you to play with the dash light switch.

Having all the lights go on with the wipers would be nice ........ since it is a requirement in many states ...... Oh .... and a heated steering wheel :)

6. ImeanGreen

ImeanGreen Prius v Five BP Brigade #236

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've been looking into this too trying to figure out where to turn the factory DRL's. Our 04 toyota sienna did not come with the DRL's when we got it from the dealership but was able to activiate it by simply installing a fuse in a blank slot at the engine compartment fuse box. I was looking at the engine compartment fuse box the other day and found out that there is relay in the fuse box labelled Dim/DRL. I don't know if this relay is a dummy. If this is not a dummy, there could be a good chance that the vehicle is DRL ready and just needs to be activated. Looking at the schematic diagram, there are 2 relays - one in the engine compartment and one close to the ECU and a couple fuses. I checked the fuses at the engine compartment fuse box and they seem to be intact. There were a couple of empty slots and I may do a trial and error. I may need to also find that 2nd relay if it is there.

Can any canadian owners post a picture of their engine compartment fuse box and the fuse box under the dash? I would love to compare them. Please make note of what package is your prius for easy comparison with a US model. Canadian owners, does your prius have a DRL fuse in the engine comparment or under the dash fuse box?

BTW, the schematic diagram says that the DRL's are using the Hi beams. Can canadian owners confirm that?

Bossman and Jbio like this.
  7. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    And auto-detection of light to adjust the display between day and night mode: because I drive so much with lights on I have to keep adjusting the display. Either that or an in-out-and-turn knob so it can remember the previous setting.

8. tanasit

tanasit Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five