1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

daytime running lights

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Prius 07, Jun 6, 2007.

1. Prius 07

Prius 07 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ranmandx @ Jul 23 2007, 05:40 PM) [snapback]483763[/snapback]</div>
    You can easily get the recall letter from Toyota USA - use their 1 - 800 number and they'll fax it to you (just give them your VIN #). You'll then sent the letter to RIV and Skyline asked me for it too. Do NOT waste $100 and pay anyone for something that simple. I got the recall letter from Toyota USA in 24 hours. If you go to the RIV web-site and press the Recall Clearance Letter tab the requirements for it are spelled out there. Under certain conditions a letter from the dealer would suffice but it is best to get it from their HO.

BTW - Skyline will also do your RIV inspection and safety inspection $75 required to get your plates.

Good luck,
    Gabe

2. Prius 07

Prius 07 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ranmandx @ Jul 23 2007, 07:52 PM) [snapback]483829[/snapback]</div>
    The inspection is "free" (actually included in the fee that you pay to RIV). The inspection centre gets paid from RIV.

Gabe

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ranmandx @ Jul 23 2007, 01:40 PM) [snapback]483763[/snapback]</div>
    I think they think that the turn signals aren't bright enough. Those DRL turn signals are pretty bright (and I prefer them over headlight ones)

4. Prius 07

Prius 07 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusott @ Jul 23 2007, 09:28 PM) [snapback]483870[/snapback]</div>
    All the required labels were in my car and the only thing needed to be done was the DRL. RIV did ask for an inspection for child restrain kit, but that passed too.

5. Prius 07

Prius 07 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ranmandx @ Jul 23 2007, 05:40 PM) [snapback]483763[/snapback]</div>
    The phone number for the Clearance Letter is:

Toyota Motor Sales, USA INC.
    1- 800 - 331 - 4331

They were very easy to deal with; knew that as a Canadian bought the car in the US and did not give me a hard time :)

6. orenf

orenf New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Daytime running lights update:

Just came back from Canadian Tire (and from ICBC - I can finally drive my new Prius!).

Even though they sell a DRL kit (which turns on ALL lights at 100%), this is NOT what they use when they install DRL themselves. On my (non-HID) Prius they installed DRL that run off the signal lights, not the main lights.

Costs:

Federal exam: free (included in RIV fee)
    Provincial (BC) exam: $89.95
    DRL parts: $40.93
    DRL labor: $133.50
    Gov't inspection decal: $10

Just mailed my PST-refund request :)

--- Oren

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Prius 07 @ Jun 6 2007, 02:48 PM) [snapback]456758[/snapback]</div>

7. ranmandx

ranmandx Junior Member

That's great to hear. I might try and save the 133.50 in DRL labor fee by putting the webelectric kit in myself. I'm used to working on my old jag. What i wanted to know though is about the dealings with the US border. My car might come in tomorrow. and i just received mypurchase orders today to send into the us border. Do they REALLY want the 72 hour grace period before they will let me export the car? Or can i just go in there in the morning drop off the papers and come back in the afternoon with the car?
    And RIV told me to fax in a clearance letter to them before i import that car is that really necessary? And as long as the car is insured are you able to drive it while doing all the modifications and waiting for the various forms to come in?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(orenf @ Jul 25 2007, 06:06 PM) [snapback]485023[/snapback]</div>

8. tchen

tchen New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(orenf @ Jul 25 2007, 05:06 PM) [snapback]485023[/snapback]</div>
    Oren,

Congratulations! I wish our CT had the signal light kit. I was forwarded by the service department to the parts department who didn't even know at first that they carried a DRL kit, until finally they asked someone else who knew about the 100% intensity kit. Did you ask for it in advance or did you go in fully expecting to get the 100% kit only to be pleasantly surprised? You wouldn't happen to know how they tapped into 12V switched power would you? As it is, I'm waiting for my Web Electrics kit to arrive and if I don't hear of any other options, I'll go with the purple PS HTR wire which CinciPrius used.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ranmandx @ Jul 25 2007, 06:21 PM) [snapback]485060[/snapback]</div>
    Hi ranmandx,

I would recommend calling the border office where you will be exporting. We received different responses depending on who we spoke to. There was even some uncertainty about whether weekends (non-business days) count in the 72hr period. In the end we dropped our paperwork off mid-Friday morning and drove through on Monday morning.

We did not fax the clearance letter before importing, but it was necessary to fax in order to obtain the inspection form. It doesn't hurt to fax it in as soon as you have it.

You should be able to drive the car around with a temporary registration, but check with your particular licensing body.

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats!

hmm, PST-refund request? I thought the PST was deducted at the border?

10. ranmandx

ranmandx Junior Member

Hey Oren you wouldn't happen to have a part number of the kit they used do you? Or a receipt from canadian tire that i can take to my local one and see if they'll do the same. It's cheaper than going to skyline motors since they are a couple hours drive from me and charge 300 dollars.

What documents are needed at the US border i have the sales orders with my name on it and a description of the car and specific items and all. Is that sufficient to give to the us customs office or do i actually need an ownership of some sort that i already paid for the car? If so i'm going to have to buy the car drive into new york and leave it a friends house over the border until next week. I will be loosing my head waiting for the day to come. And what time can i go import the car back do i need to be there at a certain time?

Oh one more importation and registration question. When you take it to the ministry to register the car do you actually have to pay the PST or do they just give you the deduction right away? I know at the border all you pay is GST and then you usually have to pay the PST when you register the car with Ministry of Transportation office.

Any words on the GST rebate yet or no? When will we find out!

11. jasingjo

jasingjo New Member

Hey Ranmandx,

I'm in the process of getting a car across the border myself. I decided to go with the webelectric kit for turn signal based DRL. The cost for the kit is slightly under $60 shipping included. There are thorough instructions found on priuschat posted by another member (sorry I can't give proper reference as I don't have his name handy. His instructions even include photos.) I plan to install these myself to save some additional cash.

For the border, you'll need the title for a used car or the certificate of origin if its a new car. All other forms are filled out at the border. I've called 3 crossing along central Ontario. (alexandria bay, cornwall and Preston crossings.) None of these US crossings accept faxes which i find frustrating. You must go to the US crossing 72 Hours before the actual export to file for the export and this must be done in person because of the no fax issue. Also, this MUST be done during the weekday between 8:00AM and 4:00PM. I heard that the detroit crossing could be 24/7 but haven't found anything that supports it. Someone can correct me if i have listed these facts incorrectly.

The PST (or RST) for Ontario is actually a mail in rebate after the vehicle is registered (this is when the PST is paid). I heard that in BC, the PST deduction is at time of registration so no mail in is necessary.
    The federal rebate is not based on GST and (as discussed in another thread) not applicable to an imported vehicle. I'm hoping to start something to get this restriction lifted (especially for an untitled vehicle being imported)

Hope you find this info helpful

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ranmandx @ Jul 25 2007, 10:53 PM) [snapback]485215[/snapback]</div>

12. Prius 07

Prius 07 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The border crossing at Lewiston did accept a fax (that was May '07) all they ask is that you write your VIN number in large font with a marker on the title papers you're faxing. Also a copy of the title paper will do; you show the original title when you bring the car across the border.

They ask for a 72 hour period between the time they get the fax and you import the vehicle and only weekdays count. They do have a call in number to confirm that your papers are in order and approved so you don't waste a trip and get denied.

You pay the GST and duty when you return with the car (you can also pay for the RIV fee). PST is paid when you license your vehicle in Ontario (after you have done the mods from RIV).

13. ranmandx

ranmandx Junior Member

You wouldn't happen to have the number to lewiston would you? I might actually be going to pick up the car today and just want to get things in order. Insurance is done, i'm going to call for the clearance letter now and then i just have to wait for my banker to make my drafts up and then i'm off to PA to pick it up and then have to leave it in Niagara Falls New York for a few days :(

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Prius 07 @ Jul 26 2007, 09:11 AM) [snapback]485338[/snapback]</div>

14. Prius 07

Prius 07 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ranmandx @ Jul 26 2007, 10:31 AM) [snapback]485393[/snapback]</div>
    US Customs requirements:
    recommends that you contact the port of crossing

Lewiston Bridge: (716) 282 - 1500; #3 vehicle export office
    #1 vehicle export requirements:
    1. fax a copy of the title or MSO (certificate of title) to their office
    2. w/ a marker clearly rewrite the VIN # (17 digits) on the title
    3. 72 hours (3 business days) has to expire before vehicle is presented at Lewiston Bridge (bring copy of the title)
    4. original title in vehicle or MSO must be presented to customs / border protection
    #2 fax # new: (716) 285 - 3565
    #3 hours of operations: M - F 8 - 4PM - confirm that these are the only times that I can bring the car back
    #4 location of the facility: Lewiston Bridge Warehouse
    #5 Canadian # (905) 262 - 4612
    #6 leave a message

@ the border need Form 1- provided by Canada Customs (needs a Canadian mailing address) & Title paper (it's a certificate - like you hang on the wall signed by the dealer and myself); registration; sales receipts

RIV (Registrar of Imported vehicles): www.riv.ca
    1-888--848-8240
    M-F 7AM - 12 midnight EST
    Sat - Sun 7AM - 5 PM EST

15. ranmandx

ranmandx Junior Member

The car has been paid for it's now mine. Going next week to pick it up on wednesday. With my caclulations i should be doing alright in the savings department. I got a White Package 6.

How exactly are the charges at the border calculated. And is the duty 6.1 or 6.95% anyone have a breakdown of how much they ended up paying as they crossed the border. And what value do they calculate the dollar at? Is the duty done first and the gst compounded on top of the duty? And when you go and register it what price do they look at when charging the provincial tax (ontario)?

I'm ordering the kit from web electronics i need to get this car registered asap or else i am not able to drive it is that correct? Does the temporary 15 day permit from the states carry over or no? Or in the RIV fee does that include a temporary permit for 45 days is it?

16. orenf

orenf New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Duty = 6.1%

Price used = the price on your bill of sale x the posted Bank of Canada exchange rate (which is much better than the commercial rates)

$100 A/C levy

GST is payable on all of the above.

PST (in BC) was based on the GST receipt you get at the border - they take the exact pre-GST amounts, and use those to calculate PST.

As for driving the vehicle: (this is BC, may be different in Ontario) - the US permit is good until you get home. AND you need to get temporary insurance for the day from ICBC, or from an insurance broker in the US. The permit you get from the dealer is just the vehicle license, it is NOT insurance.

Once you get home, you are not allowed to drive your car. If you need to get it to the inspection facility/garage, you need to get a temporary vehicle permit/insurance, which is valid for one day (again, BC-specific).

The RIV fee has nothing to do with insurance/licensing.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ranmandx @ Jul 26 2007, 03:39 PM) [snapback]485661[/snapback]</div>

17. fstrdr

fstrdr New Member

Hello,

I was wondering if you can provide the manufacturer, name of the product, and possibly the part/product number of the non-HID kit installed in your Prius, and for which year Prius. Did CT install it in your vehicle?

We would appreciate any help.

Thank you!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(orenf @ Jul 25 2007, 05:06 PM) [snapback]485023[/snapback]</div>

18. Prius 07

Prius 07 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fstrdr @ Sep 17 2007, 11:56 AM) [snapback]513727[/snapback]</div>

I work in the same area you are and my experience with Canadian Tire is that they won't do the DRL install. They told me to take it to the dealer (I do have HID).

If you look it my posts you can see that I had mine done at Skyline Motors. They were recommended by RIV.

Good luck,
    Gabe

19. orenf

orenf New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    CT installed it themselves (CT in Port Coquitlam).

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fstrdr @ Sep 17 2007, 10:56 AM) [snapback]513727[/snapback]</div>

20. satwood

satwood Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Daytime running lights mod

Maybe this is helpful, or maybe it's not since I don't know all the laws in Canada. However, using information I found on PC I made a simple modification of two wires on my fog light relay on my 2007 and now the fog lights come on whenever the power is in ingition mode. You can still use the accessory mode for the radio without the lights on and you don't need to worry about where the headlamp switch is set. The cost was just under $2.00.

Would this satisfy the Canada DRl requirement? The fog lamps really aren't overly bright and they are aimed down nicely.