1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Daytime running lights

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by tomw, Nov 25, 2010.

1. tomw

tomw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I guess what I'm trying to say that I would like to avoid going back to that dealership since I have to cross the border and it's also about 80 miles from my house. That is simply a lot of hassle. The dealership on the Canadian side will simply refuse to disable DRLs because they have to be on by law here in Canada. I thought that maybe someone knowledgable might have an idea as to what the tech might have done and I could easily undo his work.
    I also noticed that the green display for speed is dimmed permanently and I have to keep playing with the dimmer so I could see during the day and it's not too bright at night. That is getting annoying.

2. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi Tom:
    Om my HCH2 Civic all I had to do to kill the DRL was pull a fuse. I haven't checked this out on my Prius but maybe that is all that is required. I almost had a accident the first day I drove the car without the lights. A lady pulled out right smack in front of me and claimed she did not see me. As soon as I got home I re-installed the fuse. H

3. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Oh, and as far as the display brightness goes you can change the color and I believe the brightness. Check your manual out. H

4. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Agreed. They gave him a quick fix and scooted him out the door.

You have to give an HID an extra hard kick of power to get it to light, that kick each time you turn it on is thought to be the part of the operating cycle that is hard on the bulb.

The bulbs are expensive, their life expectancy is shorter than the life expectancy of the car, it seems spendthrift to use them as DRLs, especially when you already have perfectly good incan "fog lights" right there and ready to go.

HID is (should be) long life, but they have maybe 10 k hours life expectancy, not forever. Shorter if you turn them on and off a lot.

This is so not going to happen.

Agreed.

I would use a different word than "program" but otherwise agree.

They buy a Canada-ready Prius which comes with DRL ready incandescent headlights, not HID. I think there are immobilizer differences too.

Monday morning, 8 AM, get him on the phone. It might be as simple as removing a single wire. But don't do the fix until your new fog light DRLs are up and running, 'cause if Hal W comes along, he will drive right through you. 8-O

The dashlights automatically dim when you put the headlights on. The DRL fix has fooled them into dimming in the daytime too.

5. tomw

tomw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Believe me I will try to get an answer out of the tech, but somehow I don't think that will happen.
    I think I'm gonna check to see if there are any fuses to pull out and look to see if there were any wires that were obviously moved or spliced into.

6. tomw

tomw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ok, found the culprit mod that they did. I don't know exactly where this wire goes, but it looked like a quick splice and when I unhooked it, no more DRLs. It was behind the steering column. They probably just rewired the light relay to an ignition wire. Now I just have to rewire the DRLs the way I want.

7. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Do they now work from the switch?

Which way will you go?

8. tomw

tomw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Everything works as it should.

I'm installing an aftermarket LED set, it should look nice. If not, then I might do the fog lights mod.

9. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That should do it, plus your pack will like you for using LED's. H