1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DC Auto Show - you can look but not touch

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by Sue Case, Jan 23, 2023.

1. Sue Case

Sue Case Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    This morning I was some what upbeat heading to DC auto show knowing 2023 Prius Hybrid was available to check out. I really wanted to inspect interior, get a feel for head room in front seats, and check steering wheel with speedometer display behind, etc.

Well the good news at show was that there was a "Prime" in full rotating moving display. Believe me the exterior looks good and it's a "head turner". There was also a gray Prius prototype which appeared to be 2023 hybrid.

Then it went all down hill after that. Display on windshield for prototype Prius said "locked". As in "Do Not Enter". Windows were not even rolled down, so very difficult to seen inside through tinted glass. And of course no one was allowed on rotating display stand to get a close up look of Prime.

Seriously Toyota - people come to auto shows to see cars, hybrids, EV's up close and sit it. You know like check the rear view mirror, seat adjustment, feel of steering wheel, etc. In my case I wanted to see how easy it was to physically enter and exit car. I wanted to see how much head room I had in front seat. I wanted to check out hatchback storage area. And I struck out on all three. Because Toyota doesn't want you checking those things at auto show. Nope - they want you to go to dealership where sales people can take over and steer you away from possible flaws and towards car strength.

Honestly what good does it do to have two 2023 Toyota's vehicles (one plug-in, the other some bogus prototype) on display at Major Auto Show and not be able to sit in either one. Much less open a door to look in. Thanks Toyota for not being "customer friendly".

2. fsu23phd

fsu23phd Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    :) I guess it's actually a model, possibly a vinyl blow up. A very good one.

mountaineer likes this.
  3. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I th ink most of us that are interested in the new gen prii are still in a holding pattern, as for what the actual cars are going to be like to drive. It's one thing to watch videos of pre production models by people that have their own specific usage model and ways of explaining their impressions after one or a few times behind the wheel.
    I know for a fact, that after driving my 2014 PIP, the Prime was a completely new game. I expect the new Pruii will be a similar experience for current Prime drivers. And very much like the info available to us waiting for the Prime personal experience, the new Prii release info is much the same as it was in 17 until the Prime was available for lease or purchase. And the current Prime can still B perplexing in it's behavior now 5 years later.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    they are trying to build anticipation and suspense

Mendel Leisk and vvillovv like this.
  5. JoeBlack

JoeBlack Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius PHV
    Model:
    N/A
    Let's be real, you can't open it because:
    a) They only have prototypes
    b) The concept is not even finished yet, and they are doing regular developer crunch trying desperately to finish it in time.

bisco, Trollbait and FuelMiser like this.
  6. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The auto show is all image. They want everyone to be able to see the car looking its best, and part of that means without other customers blocking the view or displaying confusion because they don't understand a feature they've just found. Makes it easy on the press too, don't have to wait as long to get a good clear shot of the car without including somebody's backside leaning over the bumper etc.

I've been to a few auto shows and sometimes they let you get closer and sit in a given model. It's almost always the one they are about to discontinue, or they're doing a media program where they specifically want pictures of people crawling all around it. So your experience isn't unusual- that's just how auto shows work.

When we bought our Prius, the very first thing I did was go into a dealership with a paperback book. I asked if I could sit in the car and read for half an hour. The salespeople thought that was a little weird... they let me do it, but (thankfully) they also just left me alone. Gave me a great chance to work out the fit.

Trollbait likes this.
  7. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    For a model that is available, I've gone to a no pressure, used car dealer to look over, and even drive, the ones I'm considering.

8. beamsley

beamsley Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium w/ Solar Cells
    I'm attending the Toronto auto show next month and in the past they've let people into most vehicles (including the ultra luxurious Lexus LC500). Hoping that's the case this year.

mountaineer and Tideland Prius like this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Well, it must be working, I’m drooling

vvillovv likes this.