1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dead 12v Battery --- A Glove Box Remedy?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Rokeby, Feb 8, 2008.

1. okiebutnotfrommuskogee

okiebutnotfrommuskogee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Saw just that exact thing on TV last night. Not sure if its Discovery or DIY but the show is "Cool Tools". Its a generator that sits on the ground with a little pedal protruding out the front that you repeatedly step on up & down like riding a bike and it turns an M/G. Puts out some really good juice they say enough to charge up a car's dead battery in no time. Pretty cool. I'll try and find a linky.

3. BigJay

BigJay reh reh REH reh Torture them!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The charger in the original post jumps the battery through the cigarette lighter outlet.

I could be wrong here, but I thought that the Pruis powered it's outlets via the HV battery, not the little 12V battery. Plugging this item in doesn't appear as if it will help you start your vehicle.

Can anyone with the "know how" chime in here please? I like the idea of a small battery that can be charged monthly via the car outlet, and fit in the glove box the rest of the time.

Thanks in advance to the clever people.

4. Winston

Winston Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I think you all are off your rocker with your odd solutions for a non-problem. If you are worried about your battery dieing, just keep a cheap pair of jumper cables in the trunk. This whole spare battery thing is way too much work. If you can't teach your wife how to use them.(OMG) Then just teach her how to use a phone to call for a jump. I know I am sounding sarcastic, but jeez, what is so difficult about a pair of jumper cables?

5. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree totally. Also learn to close and lock doors, switch off lights etc.

6. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I just thought of a great license plate; BUZ-OFF. :eek: Oops! that belongs on another thread. (Sarcasm :rolleyes:)

I beg to differ. I see carrying a glove box booster as no different that keeping the spare tire inflated and ready for use. Both are responsive to the possibility, even probability, that you will, with potentially dire consequences be disabled in a place, weather, or time when outside help might be distant in time or space.

Surely, it is prudent to carry AAA, but on a snowy night they can get very busy. And you wait, and you wait ...

Further, I suspect that a sizable number of the 500+ viewers of this thread have more than mererly vague sense of disquiet when thinking about a dead battery.

Based on the postings here, I've decided to get the booster and the always-on power plug mod.

When I get it installed, I'll unhook the 12v battery, plug in the booster, and see what happens. (With any luck, I'll get a BUZ-ONN. :lol:) I'll post the results.

7. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    But a flat tyre can occur any time any where, a flat battery is caused by carelessness or neglect.

If you are careful a flat battery is far less likely. Also near enough every car on the road has a supply of 12 volt electrons they can give you to start your car via jumper cables, and most people will help out, I doubt anyone will lend a stranger a spare tyre even if they happen to have one that fits. People who neglect their standard battery are going to neglect a spare battery also. They are most likely the same people who run out of fuel too.

I think the best glovebox solution to a problem that doesn't exist is a D size torch (flashlight) cut in half, extended with a length of PVC pipe to hold 9 D size Eveready Gold batteries with a 5 year shelf life and a couple of jump wires rigged onto it. This will put out 13.5 volts and should start a Prius. Chuck it in the boot and forget about it for 5 years. Cheap too.

8. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Pat,

Nothing personal meant by the above. Thank you for your input.

Your 9x D cell suggestion is just the kind of thinking that I was hoping to see. Despite its unwieldiness, about as long as my arm, it could be just the answer for DIYer.

And hey, I guess that you could always use it to beat off a rabid 'roo, 'cept we don't have any of those in these parts.

9. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No reason it couldn't be made with 3 tubes 3 cells each.
    There is no rabies in Australia but I know what you mean.

10. markderail

markderail I do 45 mins @ 3200 PSI

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I also like the D-Cell x 9 solution.

To make it more DIY, the cardboard tubes, some tape. Two tubes of Scott towels or five toilet paper ones.

To keep dead simple, we should plug this into the car Aux 12v port, instead of directly on the battery or under the hood.

Which one of the two sockets is always "live"?

It's cheap to buy the wire that has the big 12v plug and that ends with two wires, or just patch with regular wire into the existing 12v tire inflation compressor. Nothing to buy, and you want to have both anyways.

Should also be easy to test, right? Just unplug the red wire from the exiting battery in the rear of the car. Then plug in the air compressor/spliced in 9xD cells. All stuck together with gray duct tape for extra DIY goodness.

_

11. A-Prius Owner

A-Prius Owner Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I have a 2001 model Prius and I recently had to get a new 12 volt battery due to accidently leaving a door ajar which caused it to run down even though the dome light was turned off.
    What happened is evidently the instrument panel door ajar light bulb which draws 1 watt combined with other electrical drains ran the battery down enough to ruin it. These batteries use to cost about $300 I bought mine (non OEM) for about $100 and I also changed the stock incandescent bulb to a LED type.

I think the solution is if a after market company did a installation (that I hereafter refer to and Accessory) that included electrically tapping directly into the HV battery. The 12 volt battery's state of charge would be maintained by using a HV to 12 volt charger that wouldn't be on continuously because that would use to much power, so only when the 12 volt battery reached a certain voltage would it get charged. Note when the ignition is turned on then this Accessory would turn off. Also this Accessory could disconnect the 12 volt battery if it sensed the HV battery voltage was getting low as in a case of the headlights being left on. Another benefit is you could charge and or maintain the HV battery with power from an 120VAC electrical outlet. If this involved using a large charger then a special HV plug could be installed in the car so the charger wouldn't have to be.

12. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Whoa! And here I thought this thread was going to quietly expire and drift off into thread-heaven.

A-Prius Owner, thanks for your post.

Your idea goes miles beyond the simple, inexpensive arrangement that I was suggesting. I am unable to comment on either its feasibility or its advisability.

I think that the back-channel to your post is a very great frustration and even a sense of betrayal concerning the ease with which a small oversight can turn into major expense.

I hope that there are viewers who might want to make constructive comments.

What I do know for sure is that you may have inadvertently incurred the wrath of the Grumpy Old Men-Self-Appointed Bandwidth Police (GOM-SABP). The expression of that wrath follows quickly, and is terrible to behold.

Me, I'm going looking for a foxhole. If I can't find one, I'll dig one.

Heads Up, Incoming Rounds!

13. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Patsparks - D cells in series would not start my Prius. Probably a series parrallel setup (with more cells) would do it. A 6 or 7 amp-hour gel cell certainly does. They are about brick-sized.

Tapping into the HV battery opens up several interesting possibilities, some of which were mentioned by Rokeby. But besides the actual physical danger of it, the Prius HV system is extremely sensitive to tiny current leaks. If you cannot engineer your entry points perfectly, you are going to have system main relays opening up all the time. It would be a real pain.

Original 1998 Prius had a similar battery boost system, but that did not survive the model change.

14. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    When I swapped an Optima into my Prius, I checked how much current was drawn from that little battery when the Prius seemed to be sitting there doing nothing. And I was shocked. Leaving a door open, even if the lights go out, causes a substantial draw. Opening a door, and closing it again keeps the car "awake" for quite some time, drawing a significant current. In fact, I went through the trouble of sitting there in the car with my ammeter (without opening doors) for about 30 minutes before I got really bored - and the car never did go to sleep fully, and was drawing several hundred mA from the battery. I'm not sure just what it was doing with that energy, but I know it was being taken out of the battery!

And then I tested the SKS button. There is no significant difference with the button on or off - contrary to what I've heard mentioned many times on this forum. If somebody has taken measurements with the button on and off - and can quantify a difference, I'd love to hear about it. I'd also like to hear how long it takes the car to finally go to sleep - and what the current draw from the Aux battery is at that point. Once you open a door to check, everything wakes up, and you get a big reading.

15. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Oh... and I meant to say: Why doesn't Toyota simply include a button to jump the Aux from the traction pack!? The EV1 was the only battery car that I've had that offered this. It is a no-brainer. Carry jumper cables? A spare battery? Why, when you have enough power to light up your house... but no access to it. Crazy.

16. John CCP

John CCP New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You're 100% correct! My Prius had a hatch malfunction and it drained the 12 v. battery in about two day, because the switch was on!

17. John CCP

John CCP New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    One of the problems with a Prius is that if the 12 v. battery dies, you can't open the rear hatch, so the jumper cables are usless. The connection points are in the fuse box under the hood!

1 person likes this.
  18. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You can open the hatch when the battery is flat, further instructions in your glove box.

19. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    dit you lock your doors when sitting inside and using the amps meter?

only after 20min or so when the doors are locked the prius go's ins stat of sleep ( not realy sure;) )

20. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Things are getting curiouser and curiouser, and less and less settled.

Before my original post, I had found a booster made by Coleman on numerous web sites. Curiously, it was not listed on the Coleman site. Eventually I found that the unit had been discontinued. Also, the unit got pretty dismal reviews. I then selected the Black & Decker unit as the basis of my original post.

In post #26, I said that I was going to buy the Black & Decker booster. Before I made the purchase, I checked the reviews on amazon.com. There are more than a hundred reviews, about evenly divided, yea and nay. The numerical scores given by the reviewers are shown in graph form.
    Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Black & Decker BB7B Simple Start 12-Volt Battery Booster

The graph shows a bizarre distribution; an upside down bell curve! The curve starts high at the very negative, dropping low for just alright, and going high for the very positive. I read all the posted reviews. It seems that about half the units purchased failed to take an initial charge. They put out a scream not unlike an in-home fire alarm, and folks understandably could not put up with it for the 5-15 hr charge period. The other half of the units took the charge and, if were kept recharged and used to boost a partially discharged car battery -- vice recharge a dead one, worked multiple times to the purchasers ongoing delight. So, it's important to test each unit in the store before purchase.

One negative reviewer mentioned the Schumacher EC 4000 USB. I checked that site. The unit has been discontinued.

I also learned of a unit made by Century. I checked that site. This unit has also been discontinued.
    Booster Pac J900 900 Peak Amp 12 Volt Jump Starter

Apparently either the market, or the manufacturers --with the exception of B&D -- have determined that a glove box-sized booster battery isn't workable at this time.

So, what to do?

I'm going to see if I can find a B&D unit that will take an initial charge. (I'm hard-headed if nothing else) The B&D repair facility is about 20 miles away and I might just stop by there and talk to the techs about the unit. (The shop where I work uses many of the DeWalt rechargeable tools. And as boys will be boys, we wear out motors switches, relays, etc, -- we've even cut a cord or two in half -- on occasion and have a passable working relationship with the techs.)