1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dead 12V battery? Here's a quick way to restart

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by BlairMartin, Dec 28, 2006.

1. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Man you really keep shopping around for answers. This thread was like 12 years old from the last post. Most of the posters haven’t been here in years. When the battery is disconnected for a long time it shows a base reading until it can figure things out. Perhaps the 1 bar was the computer figuring it out. The car will start with 1 bar of charge, I would concentrate on the oil leak and fluid levels first.

As for the traction battery charging thing you said you could build a charger for 30 dollars when you were dissing Hybrid Automotive. Get to it slick.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  2. Tedh1979

Tedh1979 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Yes @Skibob I have been living on this website, trying to learn as much as I can. I didn't notice how old this thread was. Thank you for saying that the car can start with one bar of charge, that makes me feel a little better. I will definitely be concentrating on the oil leak and fluid levels first. I have a mechanic coming over this weekend to look over the engine for leaks and problems before starting it. It won't even say "ready" so I know it won't even start anyways.

3. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually if it does say ready it’s ready to start when it needs to. If you get it to say ready the engine should start soon after that. Ready means ready to drive, and everything that entails. You really need to sort the oil thing first. It would be really bad if the car ran with no oil in it. And it can start anytime you push the button with your foot on the brake. You really have no control over that.

4. Tedh1979

Tedh1979 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Yes @Skibob I definitely haven't even put my foot on the brake pedal. Like I've said I've been living on this site so I am learning a lot. I definitely still have a lot to learn though and I'm sure I'll make mistakes. Also sorry about the comment on Prolong. I didn't realize they sponsored the site. Actually I'm quite interested in the Prolong product. I've apologized on the appropriate page. There is a seller that sells a hybrid battery charger that has been talking to me and trying to get me to buy their charger. He said I don't want to discharge ever. I don't know what any of this means. I was pointed to the Prolong version of the eBay charger and the Prolong is only $59 more. Honestly the eBay one looks to be better quality but I don't know anything about them. They both look awful expensive for what looks like a minimal amount of material, but I understand R&D has went into these products so that factors in on the price of the units. When you only have a small amount of customers, you need a large amount of profit from each sale to stay in business and I understand that. If I knew more about what they did, I might buy one. I simply was looking for a way to charge a hybrid battery without driving using the gas engine.

5. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Remember the charger is a smart charger. It runs the cooling fan and monitors the battery temp while charging.