1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dead 12V battery questions

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Dead12VBattery, Dec 26, 2017.

1. Dead12VBattery

Dead12VBattery Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Today I tried to get into my 2010 Prius, but the remote would not unlock the doors and, once inside, the car would not respond to the power button even with the brake pressed and the key right in front. Assuming a dead 12V battery, I took it out and put it on a charger. My charger thinks it's a fully charged 6V battery. The battery says "September 14" on it, which I assume is the month and year of manufacture. Last time I used the car was five days ago. I've had no battery issues before, but I may have left on the inside light.

I have some questions about this:
    • Does this confirm that the 12V battery is indeed the culprit and replacing it would fix the problem?
    • Is there a chance the battery will allow itself to be charged after warming up/standing still for some time (it's about 5 C/40 F outside)?
    • Is it likely leaving on the interior light would lead to this problem or is it mostly a battery that was already near its end of life? Is this a normal time for a Prius 12V battery to die?
    • Do I need a Toyota battery to replace it or will any battery with the same specs (12V 45Ah) do? Is it likely the size will be too different to be able to fit? Is there any benefit to using a particular battery? Note: I can't find any Toyota batteries online in my country (the Netherlands) and I'm guessing getting one at the dealer would be expensive.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Note: I have pretty much no knowledge of cars other than how to drive them.

2. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'd be willing to say it's a 12v battery problem. Your best short term bet would be to try to charge it. Try not to exceed about 3.5-4 amps on the charge rate, as higher rates will damage the OEM AGM battery. If it charges and appears to hold a charge then you'll probably be ok. It's only 3 years old and should have some life left in it. If not, I would definitely make plans to purchase another.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    might be under warranty. did you replace it, or buy the car more recently?

there are some oem replacements, not sure about the netherlands. is optima available?

Johnny Cakes and Mendel Leisk like this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    A couple of things you can do:

1. Measure the voltage of the battery, with the car off, doors closed, at the jump-start terminal under the hood, with a digital multimeter, and post what it's reading.

2. Phone the Toyota dealership, parts department, see what their price is at least. If their price is crazy high, perhaps they would have suggestions, local/cheaper options?

5. Dead12VBattery

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for your reply! Unfortunately my charger won't charge it t all because it thinks it's a fully charged 6V battery.

6. Dead12VBattery

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for your reply! The battery was already in the car when I bought it, about 6 months ago. I did purchase a 12 month warranty though, so maybe it covers the battery. Thanks for the idea!

There seem to be just a few models of Optima and none have matching specs. Should I look for a specific model?

7. Dead12VBattery

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for your reply!

1. Unfortunately I don't have a multimeter (maybe I should buy one), but the charger first warned the battery was bad for a few minutes (according to the manual this means < 3.8V) and later incorrectly recognized the battery as 6V, so it would seem it is well under 12V.

2. Will phone Toyota, in fact another poster correctly suggested I may have a warranty.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    over here, when we go to the optima website, it asks for our model, and year, then the correct battery if they have it.

there must be some other battery types there, in europe, there are a few options.

9. Dead12VBattery

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for your reply!

Yes, the US version of the website seems to have a product finder, which gives me this one: ds46b24r, which does seem to be available here. Unless I'm misunderstanding battery ratings, it seems to have a lower capacity than the Toyota one that came with my car though, which says "12V 45Ah-370A BCI-370A EN". Could there be different default batteries used in different countries? I imagine it's generally colder here than in most of the US.

10. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Most cars need higher Cold Cranking Amps to start the car in colder weather. The Prius 12 volt battery does not start the engine. It just powers some computers and relays. The large traction battery starts the car using MG1.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i suppose there could be. we get the same battery for florida as we do minnersoter, so i would be more concerned with size, post diameter and layout, and venting proceedure.

12. Dead12VBattery

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for all the help! In the end Toyota sent someone to jumpstart the car, which worked. The dealership measured the battery, but apparently it's still fine. Looks like my battery charger is completely useless and I bought a jump starter instead.

Andyprius1 likes this.
  13. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've used CTEK Multi US 3300, and now 4.3. Both have worked fine. This may be the link for you:

CTEK - Startpagina

14. Jack Jones

Jack Jones New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    According to the manual the 12V battery in the Prius should only be trickle charged with no more than 4 volt charge since the battery is a special AGM battery. I just replaced mine after almost 8 years. It would die down quickly after trickle charging overnight and kept displaying the Master Warning Caution light - Exclamation point in yellow triangle. $220 from dealer. Expensive but has a full 84 month warranty again.

15. rifis

rifis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Charging voltage that puny will not charge a 12v battery to 12v, much less to 13v.

16. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    The rest of this post contains valuable information but some people apparently would rather dwell on the "typo" describing the charger as 4 volt instead of the 4 amps that it really said.

17. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I don't understand how so many well meaning people who are trying to help overlook the obvious SO OFTEN.....and here again.

It is highly likely that the 12 V battery is bad due to old age or abuse by a previous owner or both.
    It is not uncommon to have a dealer service department proclaim a battery to be "good" when it should be obvious to them that it is NOT.

And finally, I doubt that your charger is useless......unless you are trying to charge a battery that is beyond it's useful life.......like probably is happening here.

But you can't tell that without a meter.

18. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Should you have this problem again, after restarting car, remember: the car has a very fine charging system, when running, with a voltmeter, across the plus and minus terminals, the level is generally 14.5 volts. Once the car is running and 12V battery charging, leave it running to charge in Park. Don’t leave Fob in or around car, all lights, accessories off, do not leave trunk or door ajar. All of these things will draw current from your 12V. It’s much colder in many parts of the US, Holland temps are mild compared to the NE, midwest and the far west, by about 20-30 degrees F Colder! I’m in Ca now for that very reason, but originally hailed from Boston. Just last week Eire Pa, had 5 feet of snow. It’s called the Lake effect.

19. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    He meant 4A, I suspect.

20. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Not more than 4 AMPERES but more than 12 volts ( 12-14.5 V ) Once the force of the 12V charger reaches equilibrium with the battery, charging stops automatically. example: 12.5 = 12.5 equals zero current flow. Actually the battery reaches the level of the charger.