1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dead 12v battery?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Julie_93, Feb 24, 2020.

1. Julie_93

Julie_93 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Context: For a week or two the "maintenance required soon" message was coming up when I started my car. I just had my oil changed a couple months ago and had a leaky tire replaced a month ago and had them check the other tires while I was there. With the trip odometer around 5000 miles I assumed it was an automatic message for maintenance that I didn't need. There were no lights indicating any other issues. I cleared the message by following directions online that I'd successfully used once before. Afterward, my car wouldn't start immediately, but started on the 3rd try. That was Wednesday night. I drove home, went to work the next day with no issues, then had trouble starting it again on Thursday night but eventually got going. Went out Saturday with 0 issues. Cue Monday morning (today) and now all the dash lights are faintly flashing when I try to start it and the engine won't turn on. I checked the 12v battery and got a reading of about 7.6. I tried disconnecting it at the negative charge, waiting a minute, reconnecting it, and nothing changed.

Do I need a new battery? Or can I save this one? How would resetting the maintenance indicator cause this? I'm so broke right now with my cat having health issues that insurance won't cover so I'm absolutely trying to find a fix I can do myself, even if it's installing a new 12v myself. Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

I'm a newbie at doing my own car repairs but I've had the car for 2.5 years and I have extensive experience in non-electrical repairs due to my job (brass and woodwind instrument repair) so I'd like to try my hand at doing my own repairs if I can.

2. Jon Bloom

Jon Bloom Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    You can have your battery tested. There are numerous places that offer a free battery test. (Of course, they'll try to sell you a new battery.)

As for clearing the maintenance indicator, I very much doubt that had anything to do with it. Sometimes a coincidence is just a coincidence.

Julie_93 likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    With 7.6 volts, pretty much for certain you need to replace.

jzchen likes this.
  4. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A new 12v for a GenII is around $200, give or take $50. No idea about the 2013, but if I changed out the battery on my 2008, I am sure you can do the '13. Probably a few good YouTube videos that I am sure someone will point you to.

Or, if PC member Stevewoods was closer, I would suggest you ask HIM to change it.:p> :D:D:D:D:D:D
    kris

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    pick up a tractor batery for around 50 bucks and wedge it in there, or get a new cat

6. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Which model and year is this Prius?

moto g(7) power ?

7. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. Priuslover09

Priuslover09 Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    How’s your hybrid Battery doing ?

9. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    A battery showing 7 volts has either been in a car that has a component failure that is leading to a slow continuous load on the battery when the car is shut off, has a bad shut off switch, had something like a door left open, was never turned off, or has a battery that has at least one bad cell. 7 volts means less than 25% charged on any type automotive battery. You can test the battery by disconnecting it, charging it overnight, testing it when the charger is disconnected, after 1 hour and after 18 hours. You can also take it to many parts supply stores and they can load test it for you. A Prius 12v battery isn't something special nor does it have to have huge capacity as it only starts electronics which connect the high voltage battery which starts the ICE engine.

Priuslover09 likes this.