1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dead 2009 Prius 12 volt battery followup question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by msmary, Mar 5, 2014.

1. msmary

msmary New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My battery died a few days ok and I had it jumped. Trying to recharge battery rather than buy a new one. I left it running on ready for 4 hours and put it on 2 amp charger at night . Checking battery on diagnostic menu screen with no load starts at 12-12.2 and falls to 11.7-9 immediately. Then push power with no brake and falls to 11.2-3.Push power with brake goes to 14.0 . I am concerned that the charge won't go to at least 12.5 . Based on a graph in another thread, sounds like the battery is more than half discharged.Is it time to buy a new one? Would it fully recharge if I left the car running on ready for a longer time-like 8 hours or longer?

2. mtbiker53

mtbiker53 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Nice try,but it's toast.

steve

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

Did the battery die from having a light left on inside the interior? If that is the case, you may still be able to recover that battery by charging it. The numbers you posted don't look too bad, just seems you need to charge it longer. Charge it for another day using the same method and see if the numbers are better. Keep in mind the numbers you see on the MFD screen may not be that accurate, showing lower than it actually is. The most accurate way to get a proper reading is at the battery terminals.

4. msmary

msmary New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think I left anything on but it's possible . I will try again before declaring it toast. Is there an easy way to test at terminals or do I need to unhook the cables at the battery?

5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

The 2009 battery shouldn't be in tip top condition, it is about 5 years old. You could play it safe by replacing it. But as you said you don't want to replace it just yet, so charge it for another day and use it as is. I think it should be fine after you charge it again.

Although the MFD reading is not totally accurate, it's better than not having anything. Most people would use that as their indicator, taking a reading at the battery terminal is just an extra step to get a more accurate reading.

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You can get a digital multimeter and measure it at the battery terminals. You don't have to disconnect anything.

7. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Can you just use the "jump point" and a ground under the hood, instead of the actual terminals....?

Or is that not as accurate?

8. srivenkat

srivenkat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE

IIRC, when I compared measurements taken at the jump point with that at the terminals, they matched. The ScanGauge II shows about 0.2V less than that at the terminals on my Gen3.

9. msmary

msmary New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Another question. I think my car has been affected because I am carsitting 2 other prius while owners out of town for a few months. I now alternate driving locally between 2009 and 2006. The 2005 has new battery but I took it off insurance and have been just starting it 2x a week for 20 minutes, per the dealer's instructions. After reading thru this site, I am fearing that I will be buying 3 batteries soon.
    I now realize that I should be moving the 2005 up and down the driveway for the tires and use my battery tender to help it. Do I leave it on nonstop or just attach it periodically? Should I try disconnecting the negative terminal and just leave the 2005 alone? Will this hurt the hybrid battery by having the 12 volt disconnected for 2 more months?
    The 2009 and 2006 are not getting enough driving time either. SHould I just alternate the battery tender between the 3 cars nightly?

10. TampaPrius.com

TampaPrius.com Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would turn off the Smart key (under the steering wheel) and alternate the battery tender. That should be sufficient.

11. srivenkat

srivenkat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Disconnecting the negative terminal and placing them on a battery tender for AGM batteries alternately, should leave them in good condition. The issue with leaving the negative terminal connected is that the car will continue to drain particularly if it has got the Smart Key System (SKS). You would want to leave the positive connected.

12. msmary

msmary New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry, I am confused. For the idle car or all the cars , disconnect the negative and then reconnect and attach battery tender ?
    So I should turn of the sks on all the cars ? Do i turn it back on when driving?
    All i have is a battery tender plus and an old 2/10/50 charger. Is the tender ok or should I invest in a battery minder or ctek since I've got 3 batteries to keep safe?
    I feel like selling a fleet of prius . Ignorance is bliss .

13. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    There are actually more than one way to approach this.

The easiest way would be to simply turn off the SKS on the car or cars that is NOT being driven.
    Use the battery tender on each car that is NOT being driven every day, alternating between the vehicles.

If you had the money, the smart thing to do would be to invest in a BatteryMinder 12248 or a good ctek charger. You really should be using a charger that is designed for AGM type batteries.

I do realize you are trying NOT to replace your batteries at this time, however you need to understand that your battery or batteries will not last forever. In reference to the one you described in post #1, more than likely that battery is sulfated and will probably be very difficult to get it to fully recharge. It could possibly be desulfated, but it would take a lot of time and a lot of charging to break up all the sulfate that is on the plates.

Depending on your climate, you may find that the battery you described in post #1 will fail (need a jump start) very soon or possibly several months from now. I would not expect this particular battery to make it through a cold winter without the need of a jump start at some point unless you are charging the battery on a regular basis.

In reference to the 05 that is NOT insured and NOT being driven. If you are not going to drive the car, it would be a good idea to air up all four tires to maximum inflation and raise all four wheels off of the ground and place the car on jackstands. This will eliminate any chance of your tires getting flat spots on them. I would make sure the traction battery (big battery) is charged to at least 6 bars before putting the car up on the jackstands. I would also recommend that you change the oil in the engine along with the filter before putting the car up on the jackstands. I would also include the rotation of the battery tender on this vehicle along with the rest as describe above. I would not store the car in this condition for longer than 90 days before I put the car back on the road and drove it.

The Prius is one of those cars that really likes to be driven and not sit for long periods of time. Normally the dealers will disconnect the 12 volt battery and then charge the battery before delivery. Most of the time when they are sitting on the lots, the 12 volt will be disconnected.

Remember, there are more than one solution to your situation. I described one way. I have no doubt other's will say different things.

I hope this clears up any confusion and gives you an idea of how to work with your situation. Best of luck to you!

14. msmary

msmary New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks to all.

15. msmary

msmary New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So I've been researching these chargers. Still not sure if I need something better than the battery tender. But it sounds like people leave their cars hooked up to a charger all the time if in storage. I guess they turn off automatically so not overcharged . Is it going to hurt any of the cars if I keep plugging one up every third night or should I buy more chargers ? Or would 1 night a week per car be sufficient? I know I'm making this more difficult than necessary, but I've already killed 1 battery somehow.

16. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Without knowing the details of the particular charger you mention, I would say that if the tender is designed to maintain a 12v battery, then it should be safe to leave attached. However, you should consult the user manual (try to find online if you can't find it -google is your friend) and it should become clear how you should use the tender.

17. msmary

msmary New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh sorry its the Battery Tender plus-less than 2 amps. i have the instructions. I guess I was asking if it hurts the battery to connect it and disconnect it every day so that I can share it between the 3 cars instead of leaving it connected long term the way many do over the winter.I need to read more.Thx

18. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You would be better off if you had a charger for each car, but it will not hurt anything to move the tender from one car to another on a rotating basis. The idea is to keep the batteries charged as much as possible. A battery tender like what you have is not going to over charge or cook the battery. If anything, it won't be enough juice, but should be enough to keep a fairly healthy battery going. A weak or dying battery, then a 2 amp tender might not be strong enough. IIRC, Patrick Wong mentioned that to you in another string.

IMO, you really need a good AGM type battery charger that will charge and maintain with a 4 amp setting. That is ideal for the Prius. But if you are on a budget, you work with what you have until you can afford better.

19. msmary

msmary New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thx again. I know I'm talking in circles.Just thinking that I can order 2 more tenders for less than the batteryminder charger but I see what you're saying so will order a good charger and try to keep all cars charged up .

20. msmary

msmary New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Follow up...I have been charging the battery every other day and it starts fine . I have not replaced the 12v battery yet. My mileage is down in the 20s. I do not drive much, but this is still a really bad mileage.I guess this battery is a lost cause.I was hoping to revive it:)