1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dead Auxiliary Battery after 170,000 Miles

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by chocolatemint, Apr 10, 2013.

1. chocolatemint

chocolatemint Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok. I know I should count my blessings that my 2004 Prius auxiliary battery (that powers the CPU and ignition) took almost 10 years to die. And I know that I was blessed that when it died my car was sitting in my garage and not out in the cold wet highway (yes, it is still that way in Michigan on April 10). But can anyone tell me why Toyota didn't design a warning light for low battery? Can anyone tell me why they couldn't integrate the starter and CPU with power from the hybrid battery pack? Can anyone tell me why there isn't any information about this auxiliary battery, that if you don't connect with other owners, you don't find out about it until it dies? Can anyone tell me why its not part of the regular maintenance schedule? Finally can anyone tell me how to replace this auxiliary battery without using a certified Prius mechanic at the Dealer who charges $350 for a new battery with labor???

JMD likes this.
  2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Sure.

The hypothetical warning light would be powered by what? That's right, the low battery!
    (I once had a computer program that printed an error message when the printer ran out of paper, by the time you got more paper, you printed pages of out of paper messages, same thing)

The HV battery has lethal levels of power, Toyota decided to start the car and do operational checks BEFORE enabling the High Voltage circuits. It seems like a safety item.

My advice would have been to replace it every 4 years, just like the 12 battery in every other car made. If you prefer not to pay Toyota prices:

Optima DS46B24R Optima battery direct fit replacement for Prius 2004 + & Plug-in Prius with Instructions would be my first choice, it contains proved advice.

Toyota Prius Starting Battery - Exide Edge 51JIS Flat Plate AGM is a safe battery (AGM and externally vented) that fits as well.
    There are other choices in other countries, and other safe batteries that just do not fit as well here in the US.

koolingit likes this.
  3. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    **Mod Note**

Moved to Gen 2 C, M, and T/S.

4. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ditto Jimbo. Beyond that, use another dealer. $200 to $250 would be a good price for replacing the 12V battery.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Rather than wait for the 12 volt battery to "die", I'm inclined to hasten it's demise, just change it every 4~5 years. Beats getting stuck somewhere, or having to purchase a battery at the last minute. Ten years on the original battery is pretty lucky.

traviswaye likes this.
  6. traviswaye

traviswaye Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As soon as I got my used Prius the first maintenance thing I did was change the stock battery out to a Optima Yellow Top. I'd rather not need to worry about it down the road. Also at least they built in the diagnostics thing where you can check voltage levels.

7. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If it's any comfort, a bad 12V battery would probably never strand you on the highway. Once the car's in ready mode the traction battery keeps the 12V system where it needs to be.
    Several years ago I resolved to change out any 12V battery once it reached six years old on the principle that the extra cost of an unexpected battery issue along with unplanned replacement will exceed anything I save by eking out another year or two.

8. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Excellent! The very best any 12V battery in my household has ever lasted was 9 years, on the spouse's car (non-hybrid), getting only half that distance.
    While that would be nice, I'm withholding complaints until other cars provide the same warning.
    To expand on Jimbo's answer, this is a safety issue, especially for first responders at crash scenes. The hybrid battery carries lethal voltage and current, which originally created widespread fear of harm among mechanics, emergency personnel, and hybrid / EV critics. Some of this fear was overblown, but part of it was justified.

By creating a system where shutting down the 12V system with common existing procedures also shut down and contained the lethal electricity inside the metal battery box, with no high voltage coming out of that box on any wire, Toyota helped gain market acceptance of this new technology.

It would be nice to abolish the 12V battery completely, leaving only the hybrid battery. But this will require new safety designs, new emergency procedures, and new and deeper training for emergency workers.

9. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The 12V battery health is very easy to test yourself. Measuring the voltage with/without the headlights on is enough to tell when the battery is close enough to end of life. Of course you don't even need the voltmeter if you know the service menu trick, but in any case a cheap voltmeter is under $10, so either way is easy enough.

Personally if I was to wish for Toyota including any more sensors/indicators in the Prius I think I'd like an oil level (as opposed to pressure) warning. In any case, extra sensors and indicators add cost, so there's always a cost versus need debate, especially when we're talking about things that are slow changing and relatively easy to check manually anyway (like with a dipstick for example).