1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dead Battery and manual key lock broken

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by AJBC, May 23, 2020.

1. AJBC

AJBC Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi guys,

Someone who borrowed my car left the parking lights on (I can see it toggled between OFF and full headlights through the window), and due to the current lock-downs I didn't come back to the car for 9 days.
    I am guessing this has pretty much killed the 12V battery? I tried unlocking it today and the car didn't unlock, but still made the unlock noise, but without the blinkers flashing as they normally do.
    It would also make the unlock sound 3-4 times in quick succession when I was standing near it, without me pressing any buttons. After trying again later today it no longer even makes a noise.

A secondary issue is that I also can't manually unlock the car with the key. I haven't been able to get that to work for a few years. I have read in other threads that sometimes you REALLY have to turn it, but I had it turned 30-40 degrees and no luck.

So I guess my main questions are:
    1. Do we think the battery is dead, or can it be jump started?
    2. Is there a way to open the bonnet without getting inside the car?
    3. If the manual key lock doesn't seem to be working, is this going to be an issue for a mechanic to break into?

Thanks guys!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    1) yes, but a jump might work. unfortunately, you have to get into the car to jump it.

2) no

3) try wd 40 first, then a mobile lock smith.

4) worth trying a new fob battery

3. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I foresee a locksmith visitation in your near future. And, most likely, a new 12V battery soon thereafter.

dolj likes this.
  4. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I wan't going to reply to this but I've got to keep up my reputation. :rolleyes:

Yes, yes and yes.

And have you learned anything from this experience......like maybe to get seemingly little things fixed NOW while they still are little ??
    In this case, the whole situation might end up costing you 2-3X what it would have if you had kept up with fixing the known problems.

Related question: Do you have only ONE key FOB ??

5. AJBC

AJBC Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you everyone, much appreciated.
    I have two FOBs, I have replaced both batteries myself with the same result

Is anyone able to confirm in these photos if the fog lights would've been left on? And if so, would they stay on once the car was shut off and progressively drain the battery?
    Apologies for the low quality, it was quite hard to get a clear photo through the window.

Attached Files:

6. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well like most folks with dead battery’s you probably never arm the car using the fob. If you did it would alert you that there’s some lights on.

Have no idea the mileage on the car but it’s a very bad idea to let a g2 Prius sit for days unused it’s really hard on the hybrid battery and will greatly encourage corrosion of its connections not to mention it’s charge getting really low. It’s the number #1 failure on this site.

Don’t be surprised there’s a red triangle on the dash in your future.

7. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Now there's a new one.
    Electrical connections corrode quicker when not being used.
    Where DO you get some of this stuff ??

cellculturist likes this.