1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

dead battery / blown fuse

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by that's mick!, Oct 21, 2020.

1. that's mick!

that's mick! New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello all,
    I bought my 2008 Prius seven years ago, and have have virtually no issues since then. A few years ago, I had to replace the 12v battery but everything else has been great.

I moved to Philadelphia in August 2020 (moving in the middle of a pandemic: SMRT!), and the car has been sitting for two months. Obviously dumb, and the battery died again (a few months outside its warranty period to boot). Despite having had to jump the car a few times before replacing the battery the first time, I seemed to forget how to connect the negative lead in the engine compartment. In the process of trying to do so, I connected the negative lead to a fuse lead labeled 8262047050, which definitely blew (please see attached pictures). In my own defense, I misinterpreted a diagram I found online; no one to blame but me.

I now have two questions:

-can anyone say how integral the mentioned part is to the operation of the Prius? I assume very integral, but worth gauging from someone who knows more than I do.

-will the above fuse/part being inoperable prevent a successful jump? It would seem so, but I now need to reaffirm the basics after this act of dumbness.

Any information would be appreciated, as I now need to determine my next step, and if I need to involve a repair shop of any sort. Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. Bob Comer

Bob Comer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That would definitely stop it from starting. There's a lot of subsystems on that bar including engine control and the hybrid system. I hate to say it but it could be very bad, but I'm sure someone else here can say better than I.

3. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Assuming you had the jump positive on the right spot, I think you put your negative jump lead on the attached 12v buss bar of the fusible link causing a direct short of your jump battery within the fuse/relay box. It may have damaged just that bar, which is replaceable by itself or it may have damaged the whole fuse box. If I am right (and I can't tell the extent of the damage) its possible the car is not otherwise damaged.

The best thing to do is get it to a dealer for a proper diagnosis. If you insist on more diy, I would first figure out if the fuse box is still good by replacing the fusible link. Or change the entire fuse box if necessary. Both jobs include removing the main power feed, bolts and clips. Not as easy as pushing in a new fuse.

(New fusible link)

Obviously you have to disconnect the 12vdc battery first

https://ebay.to/3oise9C (Used fuse box w fusible link)
    2B4CC692-8DF3-44C7-99A4-065FA7B397B0.jpeg

https://ebay.to/2HpEPqH (Used fusible link)

Fusible Link Cables
    F8453475-3029-49CB-8408-3FDC2C4D05F2.jpeg

#3 rjparker, Oct 22, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
  4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    font hard to read.

SFO likes this.
  5. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    By the way, when I had my 08 Prius I printed this out, placed it inside a zip lock bag and placed it under the cover of the engine fuse box. For use by my wife or others in the future. I also had a cheap small gauge jumper cable set in its packaging under the driver's seat since the big sets often have huge battery clamps that were difficult to use on the powerpoint.

Attached Files:

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I would start with just the fusible link that got zorched, and see where that gets you.

It is a bit of an exercise to replace.

7. that's mick!

that's mick! New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    All,
    I appreciate the responses. I need to get a new battery anyway, so I will be starting with that this weekend, and hopefully the fusebox is fine. If not, I will pivot to the fusable link and see if I can replace that. If not, I will get a professional involved. I would like to thank you all for reducing my anxiety and furthering my troubleshooting process.

(mick)

8. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Its guaranteed the fusible link is bad at the broken part. 12v for many of the systems has to flow through that bar.
    B1360E46-C31A-4B4C-8E6A-DE83DFF35ABE.jpeg

Prius Gen2 Fusible Link Passenger & Drivers Side Views.JPG

#8 rjparker, Oct 24, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
    Patrick Wong and SFO like this.
  9. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Replacing the fusible link assembly will hopefully solve your problems.

I have never never never seen that much damage to a fusible link assembly, because that didn't even damage one of the fusible links. It smoked the actual busbar that supplies all the fusible links. That is why I can pretty much guarantee there are no damaged circuits downstream.

Now, as for the above question, being a lifetime wire-biter, I just about sprayed my drink onto my computer. That would be like shooting a cannonball through your engine and asking a mechanic if he thought it would prevent the engine from working, lol. At least a fusible link assembly is relatively inexpensive to replace.

10. that's mick!

that's mick! New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just ordered the part. Based on the above video, I feel comfortable tackling this project. Though I thought the same thing about jumping my battery, and look where that got me.

Imagine the thought going through my head as, "Hey, why did that fuse just go? What just happened?". Like that, but with far more confusion laced with panic.

Again, I appreciate the responses. Thank you.

(mick)

rjparker likes this.
  11. that's mick!

that's mick! New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sadly, it would appear that I will need to have a shop look at this anyway. After replacing the fusible link and getting a new battery, I got the red triangle of death. I suppose this is not too shocking, as the car was sitting for months. So the car will power on, it just will not run at present. I appreciate everyone's information in taking care of this issue. Thank you all.

(mick)

12. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I would definitely try again by cycling it on and off a few times. Usually required even with everything good. Obviously you should check all those fuses one by one, ensuring you get each into their right spot.

13. that's mick!

that's mick! New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I spent an hour cycling and checking my connections before I got a shop involved. It turns out a fuse had blown in addition to the fusible bar. All up and good now. Thanks again.

Solman636 and Bob Comer like this.
  14. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three