1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dead Battery, car won't open

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by sventastic, Apr 3, 2008.

1. sventastic

sventastic New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'm borrowing my Mom's Prius and the battery seems to be dead. It's locked, so I don't know how to open the hood in order to charge the battery. Any ideas? I have the FOB, but that's not working either.

Thanks,

S.

2. Danny Hamilton

Danny Hamilton Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    On one edge of the fob is a small spring loaded slider with a tiny triangle shape on it. Slide this slider in the direction the triangle is pointing. While holding the slider in that direction, a small metal key can be pulled out of the fob where the key ring attaches. This key can be used on the drivers door to unlock the car.

I can't remember which way you need to turn the key, but I know that you need to turn it harder than many people realize. So if you are turning it the right way and the door isn't unlocking, you might need to be a bit more firm with it.

Good luck.:hippie:

3. sventastic

sventastic New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Cool, thanks for the tip!

4. David Harrison

David Harrison New Member

Dear S,

You can open the hood by using the part of your FOB which is a key, this can be used to open the drivers door manually, you can then open the hood. Also gain access to the boot where the 12V battery is, or lift the hood and connect a jump start battery accross the connection provided for this - see manual.

Regards David UK

5. Danny Hamilton

Danny Hamilton Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is a great idea! I wish I had thought to suggest it earlier. :(