1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dead Battery Won't Jumpstart

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by LAguy, Mar 15, 2013.

1. LAguy

LAguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Another 12v dead battery question, although I did a search and couldn't find anything about this particular problem. I have a 2007 Prius Package Six. I went away on vacation over Christmas and when I got back the battery was dead and the car wouldn't start. No problem as I was easily able to jumpstart it with a portable battery jumpstarter. However I kept having the same problem as apparently the battery wasn't maintaining a charge. So obviously my battery is kaput and needs replacing. I've watched the videos and plan on replacing it myself.

However when I went out this morning to jumpstart the car it wouldn't jumpstart at all. When I hook up my battery jumpstarter nothing happens. Nothing lights up. The car won't start. Even if my 12v battery is completely dead and cannot maintain a charge, shouldn't I still be able to get the car started with a jumpstart? I realize that as soon as I turn it off I will have to jumpstart again. But I can't figure out why a jumpstart won't even get the car fired up

Am I missing something? Do I have a bigger problem? Help!!!!

UPDATE!

After I posted this I went out and tried again. I should have been a little more clear in my last post. When I hook up the jumpers the car would light up but as soon as I unplugged the jumpers all went dead. Apparently my problem was that I wasn't leaving the jumpers on long enough for the car to run through some computer stuff so I left them hooked for about 5 minutes and then the car started. I didn't have to wait the other times I jumped so maybe that means the battery is really dead. Anyway the problem is resolved (I hope.) Thanks.

2. desmondlee

desmondlee Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    sometimes you need a stronger battery for a jump start to work - that happened to me a couple of times (not with the Prius)

3. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    In the Prius you need to keep the jump battery connected and the car in the "Ready" state. before you disconnect.
    One Prius Chat member claims to have started a Prius with 8 D cell batteries. Almost any 2007 or 2008 Prius needs a new battery by this time. You might get by if you never drive less that 20/30 miles at a time.

kenoarto likes this.