1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dead Battery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Papajohnnyboy, Nov 14, 2015.

1. Papajohnnyboy

Papajohnnyboy New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Our 2007 Hybrid died. This is the original battery. 110,000 miles. Three days ago, I drove it into the garage and parked it. However, when I tried starting it yesterday, all I saw was a brief light up of the normal dash lights but when I attempted to shift to Reverse, everything went blank---I mean the entire dash board was Lights Out.
    I tried briefly tapping the Power/Start button but nothing... I tried to put a charge on it using the Auxiliary battery up front, but each time I turned on the battery charger (on a NAPA 6amp/2amp charger) I heard a strange noise which I haven't heard before. (Please Note: I have charged this battery before presumably because I've left the hatch or a door slightly ajar from time to time.) Note: my wife hasn't experienced this door ajar issue :)
    What to do friends? I'm 40 miles from my local Toyota dealer (Olympia, Washington).

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Buy and install a new 12V battery.

3. Papajohnnyboy

Papajohnnyboy New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Update: I tried again, and this time it did come to life so I hooked up the battery charger and it appears to be charging. After it charges, I'll be making contact with the Toyota Dealer. I did call the dealership earlier today and they suggesting having it towed in. They'll probably suggest replacing it etc. If it's the aux battery, how much should I expect to pay?

4. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The Toyota 84 month battery is about $220 plus labor to install.

5. Papajohnnyboy

Papajohnnyboy New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four

6. Papajohnnyboy

Papajohnnyboy New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    What causes a battery to lose its charge/go dead?

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    8-9 years of use. as freddy mercury said, 'nothing lasts forever'.

#7 bisco, Nov 14, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
    kenoarto likes this.
  8. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. Insufficiently charged, for example it is installed in a car that logs relatively low miles/time period - and the owner does not supplement the battery charge by using a charger or battery tender.
    2. Owner error, for example leaving the cabin lights on for an extended period of time when the car is IG-OFF, or leaving the car in IG-ON mode (not READY) where all dashboard warning lights remain on.
    3. The battery is worn out after many charge/discharge cycles. If you own a cellphone or a laptop, this will be a familiar concept.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you can also get a battery from an auto parts store, batteries plus store, or the internet.

10. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Not that the OP has time to wait, but batteries can often be found on sale for $150 at AutoZone for the the preferred Optima Yellow Top. SNARK ON: Gotta wonder what the OP be asking what to do when he gets a flat and/or runs out of gas? ;)

11. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Absent abuse and operator error (e.g. leaving door ajar), age alone will kill every battery. The Prius' 12V battery life expectancy is really no different than the equivalent battery in traditional non-hybrids. At 8-9 years, yours did very well, and shows that it lived in a mild climate.

In harsher climates (hot and cold), these batteries start dropping off at 3 years, though many other people do get 4-6 years.

Data Daedalus and kenoarto like this.
  12. tanglefoot

tanglefoot Whee!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If you have any DIY ability, don't call the dealer or have it towed. Just order or pick up the replacement aux battery of your choice and replace it. As mentioned, yours has lasted longer than most. It's past due.

13. Data Daedalus

Data Daedalus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    He got 8 - 9 years out of a Prius 12V battery? That's unheard of in the UK, methinks. He's very lucky indeed!

My Prius 12V battery started to fail in late 2013, the same year I'd bought "The Spaceship". I'd inherited the original battery that came with my 2008 Prius, and it had lasted 5 years.
    I thought I was very lucky indeed.

My previous ICE cars barely gave me 3.5 years per 12V battery (apart from one really expensive high powered make that also lasted almost 5 years).

iPad ? HD