1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dead battery?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Tuningpeg, Mar 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Tuningpeg

Tuningpeg New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    have a 2004 with 250k on it. Went to the car today, last used it 3 days ago, and cannot unlock the doors with the fob or start the car. It's not the fob battery; the light was still blinking on the fob, but just in case I put a new battery in. Do I need a jump? Whole new battery? If my battery had been dying wouldn't I have got some warnings?

I bought the car in 2015 and the shop didn't have any service records. Probably has the original battery.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    sometimes they just die, others, you might have some minor annoyances pointing you in the right direction. but the car does not offer any low voltage warnings. maybe you left a door ajar or a light on?
    either way, you'll have to charge it and test it to see if it will hold a charge. if not, you'll have to replace it. any idea how old it is?

3. Tuningpeg

Tuningpeg New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Thanks!

4. Tuningpeg

Tuningpeg New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    No idea the age of the battery. Shop I bought it from didn't know.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there's a date code on top.

6. Tuningpeg

Tuningpeg New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    oh, thanks. Will have to wait until daylight to check

7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    More probably not the original 12V battery. 12-13 years in a place with actual winter would be quite unusual.

To avoid confusing newbies and non-car-type folks, it is better not to talk about just 'the battery' in a Prius when there are really two very distinct major batteries in the car: a somewhat normal 12V battery, and a high-voltage / hybrid / traction battery. The former comes with most of the regular problems of a common car starter battery. The later is the big expensive one that owners really don't want to have to replace.

Andyprius1 and Chodronish like this.
  8. Pubrica

Pubrica Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Try to use 2 Amp battery charger on to 12 V battery after disconnect the ground cable and charged battery to 13 V.
    leave the battery over nigh to see the voltage stay to 12.6V or.
    its still good if you have 12,6V and you have to get new one if your battery shows lower than 12.6V. Good luck.

9. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Odds are 99.9 percent that it is the 12v battery, but you have probably already figured that out by this time.

You can replace it yourself. Lots of posts in this forum, as well as a few YouTube videos would point you in the right direction.

To have it replaced by Toyota, in the USA, you'd be looking at around $300 USD, that would be for both labor and the new battery. Sometimes, dealerships in the USA have service and or parts coupons on their Web sites that can save you money.

Again, not that tough of a job, but if you don't have tools, nor have much mechanical experience, you might not want to tackle it.

One of the forum members, Mendel, is from Vancouver, BC and can probably address your concerns a bit better.

But, yes, the 12v in the Prius can give out without much -- if any real warning. And, not to scare you, but if you try to "jump-start" the car, or to try to charge the battery, be very, very careful and observe ALL precautions in the owner's manual. The Prius is not forgiving if you mess up any steps.

Not sure about Canada, but I suppose it would be the same for you....if you go to the official Toyota Motor Company's car owners Web site, using the VIN number of your car, you can register it and see what service records Toyota has on the car, as well as see if there are any recalls that have not been done -- or have been done (although the Toyota Web site has had some glitches, lately).

Again, don't get too scared, but be careful. Some people here recommend NEVER trying to jump start the Prius.